In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Monday, November 15, 2010

Is It Because We Don't Lick Ourselves?

As I was bathing the dogs yesterday it occurred to me that humans must be one of the foulest smelling species on earth. My Isabella can  easily go three weeks between baths without emitting any offensive odors. It's amazing when I think about the things I have to do daily to avoid reeking like rotted meat... I shower, shampoo, slather myself in scented lotions, apply a generous layer of antiperspirant to my arm pits, dress in freshly laundered clothing, brush my teeth approximately 3-4 times a day, and wash my hands umpteen times. And during the hot Florida summers I might even need to take another shower at the end of the day before I put on clean pjs before going to bed. Just to get up the next day and do it all over again.


We humans spend big bucks on hygiene products and time devoted to controlling our body odors, but dogs just give themselves a few licks a day, chew a couple of Milk Bones, and they smell just fine.




2 comments:

  1. well, if the only places we perspired from were our mouths and the pads of our feet, we'd smell a whole lot better too!

    i don't really think they care for how they smell, though. if there's a dead possum on the place, my dogs will find it and be absolutely orgasmic while rolling in it and perfuming themselves with 'eu de dead thing'. somehow, i'd rather the shampoo, deodorant, lotions etc.

    wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, my dogs stink, especially after they scrimmage. It must be the slobber. Lovely, I know.

    Then again, I smelled like a garbage dump after moving wood yesterday. They have NEVER smelled as bad as I did. Not even after losing their skunk virginity. Okay, I lie, but it was close!

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!