In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cookies, Overly Large Nostrils, and How Fat Can ROM Get?

I've been doing some of my holiday baking the past couple of weeks, but Real Old Man (ROM) devours everything as fast as I bake it. Since he and the dogs had eaten all the cookie balls I decided to bake Magic Bars today. I gathered all the ingredients- with two dogs at my feet waiting and hoping I'd drop something edible- got to work...



Magic Bars Ingredients:
1/2 cup  unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups  graham cracker crumbs
1 1/3 cups sweetened flaked or shredded coconut
1 cup  semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 - 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk

Instructions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place the rack in the center of the oven.
Have ready a 9 x 9 inch  square baking dish. Chop up butter and place in baking dish, melt in microwave.  Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs evenly over the butter. Sprinkle the coconut over the crumbs. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the coconut. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate chips. Finally, drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over all the ingredients. Don't mix the ingredients together, just layer them.


Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes or until coconut is
lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut into squares.



Of course dogs can't eat chocolate, so I had to bake something else for them. Since they'll eat just about anything, my recipe for their cookies was pretty simple:




Took this photo just before she took the tip of my finger off. She doesn't seem understand the concept of posing and looking cute before getting a treat.




But my sweet Isabella gently nibbled at hers as I took her photo.. damn, that dog has huge nostrils. She has an unusually large butthole, too.  Sshh... don't tell her I said that, she'd be crushed. It's just one of those things I can't help but notice.




After Real Old Man got home today, he had his usual coffee and snack. When I later went into the kitchen, I swear I about shit a brick when I saw what his "snack" had consisted of-
He had the nerve to be insulted when I asked him if his goal was to hit 300 lbs. by New Year's Day.

7 comments:

  1. LMFAO OMG
    THAT LAST PART.
    DYING.
    OMG.
    SHAKING.
    TEARING UP.
    OH LORD.

    those magic bars looks hella delish thooooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I was nice and didn't say a thing about the size of his butthole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at Isabella's physical description. But at least she is a dainty eater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look yummy. I may have to try that some day soon.

    I am making no`bakes for Christmas this year. They are going to be paired up with a jar of canned pears. ;) We just buy for the kids and I thought we would surprise the siblings with a little treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear your birthday is coming up. With your health problems, do you think you'll live another year? Maybe old St. Nick will be bringing ROM a younger prettier wife next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really Melissa- Yes she's a very dainty eater, and a very picky one.

    AG&PDF- Those on your xmas list will love the home canned pears!

    Anonymous- Either there's something seriously wrong with you or you're the biggest asshole I've ever had the displeasure of coming across.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cracked up when I saw how much ROM ate of your dessert. If ROM ate that much it must be good. I can't wait to try this dessert out. It's Christmas we're supposed to over indulge ourselves. @twilighttwitti

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!