In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Wednesday, December 22, 2010

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas...



I was digging through a closet for the dog's Christmas stockings and ran across this Santa I made years ago. I just love this old guy, so I sat him in the window
and he looks so Christmasy with the outside lights in the background. I couldn't find his bag of toys- I think I made a little doll, stick horse, some other things that filled his bag.


All we have left to do is hit up Petsmart for new toys and chewies to fill the dogs' stockings. By every December the dogs' toys are so ratty and tore up it's definitely time for replacements. Just when they get to the point they can't survive one more washing, Santa delivers all new ones.  And we need to make a trip to the liquor store. We are going to a Christmas Eve dinner party and are supposed to bring something Italian. The hosts are Italian and top notch cooks, so there's no way I'm going to try to cook an Italian dish. So we'll take a bottle of Galliano and Frangelico, or maybe Tuaca and Amaretto, and maybe some finger foods. We went to this same party last year, and the food was to die for!


We only have one must do Christmas Tradition and that is to watch Darlene Love perform on David Letterman's last show before Christmas. Since 1986 Darlene has appeared on Dave's last show and sings "Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)" accompanied by Paul Schaefer and the CBS Orchestra. We've never missed it. Usually there is also a full choir plus additional strings and horns. I swear every year the arrangement and her performance gets better and better. A few years ago the show was a repeat due to the writer's strike, but we still watched it because it's our tradition, dontcha' know? This year Dave's last show before Christmas is Thursday night. If you happen to be watching, you can be sure Real Old Man and I are watching, too.   Here's a You Tube video of one of my favorite Christmas appearances by Darlene on the show: 













9 comments:

  1. I suppose if you want to be invited back for the Christmas Eve Party next year, it wouldn't do to bring a copy Of Skinny Italian?
    Happy Holidays, ROH. I hope you and ROM have a wonderful Xmas and a Happy healthy,peaceful New Year.
    Thank you for sharing your Island life with all of us and your blogs that are a never ending source of amusement.
    Finally, thanks for introducing me into the world of Twitter. I'm still a little reluctant to post there (out of shyness?) but I'll see you at the party tonight. Thanks for the invite..Let's hope it's friendly.
    Love to you, ROM and the Furry Ones
    Peace Out :-)
    @DebAllyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure love that santa. Your sculpting creations are amazing. Hope you and your real old man have a fantastic Christmas and a great 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tradition! I might just be watching Ms. Love Thurs. night too. Thankss for telling us about it.

    Your Santa is wonderful. Do you ever sell any of your art work? Do you take orders? I'd love to have a santa like that.

    Hope you and real old man have a marvelous holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely photo of your wonderful santa. Have a very Merry Christmas and happy fulfilling New Year. Love you and your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas, ROH. I hope your day is as special as you. May you and ROM have a great New Year, too. I hope you keep both your blogs going. I love sitting down with a cup of coffee and reading your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas, lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did Santa bring you and ROM everything you wanted? Hope you two had a freaking frigging fantastic xmas! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just stopping in to wish you the happiest of new years! 2010 has been quite a ride, hasn't it? i'm so glad you've been a part of my year! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. B and I have a tradition of watching National Lampoons Christmas Vacation every year.
    We missed this year due to time getting away from us.

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!