In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Monday, December 13, 2010

Just Load Me in the Pick Up Truck and It's Freezing in Florida...

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I told you about one of my neighbors that I felt shouldn't be driving? Early Sunday afternoon the EMS arrived to transport him to the hospital. But I was afraid he was going to have get off the gurney, put his cowboy boots and hat on, and drive himself to the hospital. The EMTs couldn't get the first ambulance's back door to stay latched so they had to call a second ambulance to transport him. It ended up taking over an hour to finally get him on his way to the hospital. I'm assuming he wasn't on the verge of dying because they sure took their sweet time. I haven't had a chance to talk to his lady friend today to see how he's doing. I told Real Old Man if I ever need to get to the hospital in a hurry to forget calling an ambulance, just load me in the back of his pick up truck.


I just hope he doesn't have to load me up in the back of the pickup today- it's so frigging cold and windy. We reached our high of 52 earlier today and now the temp is on it's way down, down, down... We're under all kind of weather warnings for tonight- wind chill warnings, freeze warnings, and a high wind advisory for today. And that wind is whipping everything around. Right now we're having 35 mph winds blowing Xmas decorations over (my baby deer and the sleigh are on their sides), blasting the palms trees, and frustrating people who are out trying to cover their plants to protect them from the freezing temps coming tonight. I was watching a guy down the street trying to cover some plants and as fast as he'd get the cover over the plants the wind would rip it back off before he could anchor it with bungee cords.



Look at these wind chimes- that baby is singing an angry song today! And my poor plants are getting a hell of a whooping.

I know you northerners think we Floridians are big wuzzes when we bitch about the cold, but we aren't prepared for this kind of shit. We'll have to worry about pipes freezing, losing all our landscaping, and then there's the citrus and strawberry farmers... they'll be out all night spraying their crops hoping to save them from the freeze. 


Now I need to go stir that big pot of chili I have simmering and later I'll make cornbread to go with it. After I finish carrying in some of my patio plants and cover the ones that are too big to bring in...

5 comments:

  1. Quit your whining on Twitter. STFU or get your yeasty old ass in back of that pick truck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no call for nasty posts like that Anon.


    I understand exactly what you're going through ROH. I live in South Texas and our climate is very similar. We have lots of palm and fruit trees as well. One good freeze is all it takes to ruin them. Hopefully Florida will start to warm up soon. The last thing you need is a white Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. go away hater, if you don't like her why are you on her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they managed to get that poor man to the hospital. Do you know how he's doing?

    Is that first ccommenter part of that hateful group on Twitter that harrass you and some others? I see their tweets occasionally and they are a miserable bunch. Just ignore them, sweety. You are well loved by many, and we love your blogs,too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They couldn't get the back door to stay closed? What the hell did they put in there before they made it to the Cowboy's house? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!