In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sarah Palin Killed My Baby Reindeer & Who Ate the Cookies...


Evidently Sarah Palin has killed off all the caribou in Alaska, and now she's gunning down reindeer in Florida. She's truly evil. What kind of person kills reindeer? Maybe Real Old man can revive the little guy after the the wind and cold moves on. Got down in the 30's last night and supposed to get in the 20's tonight. That should finish killing off the grass and the landscaping. I'm trying to talk ROM into moving farther south, somewhere cold fronts never reach.


I don't know why but all I want to do when it's cold is eat and watch TV.  Which brings me to the subject of cookies.... A friend stopped by yesterday with a plate of an assortment of cookies and one in particular was so freaking good!  In fact they were so good ROM and I argued over them. After we'd both had several with our evening coffee, I told ROM we needed to stay out of them (remember how he ravished and devoured the Magic Bars?) It was a short while later we had this exchange...   

ROM: I see you eating another cookie. I thought you said we couldn't eat any more cookies tonight.

Me: Nuh uh -am not.

ROM: You are, too!

Me- I'm just looking out at the dead baby reindeer. I think Sarah Palin shot it.

ROM: Don't change the subject...I can see your reflection in the glass! And your hand shoving a cookie in your mouth.

I turn around and show him my empty hands...
Me: See? No cookie!

ROM: Of course there isn't now, you just shoved the rest of it in your mouth and swallowed it. Let me smell your breath. I bet you have cookie breath.

Me: You need to worry more about Palin killing off your livestock than who is or isn't eating cookies.

Anyway, last night my friend e-mailed the recipe to me and I wanted to share it with you all. They are sooo good! Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I really did eat the last two. But it serves ROM right for being such a pig with the Magic Bars. I'm going to make them tomorrow and I'll take pictures then.

Chewy Cinnamon BarsIngredients:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup finely chopped pecans or almonds
confectioners sugar
Directions:
Preheat oven 350 degrees.  In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, beat until light and fluffy. Combine flour, cinnamon and salt, add to butter, sugar and egg mixture and beat until smooth. Stir in nuts. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Cut into small bars while warm; roll in confectioners sugar.

9 comments:

  1. That's funny! Palin killed your reindeer-hahaha Hide the cookies from real old man after you bake them and dole them out to him one at a time. They really do sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was ROM able to revive the little reindeer? I just made out a shopping list so I can go tomorrow to get the ingredients for these cookies. They sound heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you crack me up! Absolutely love your blogs. I can't wait to try the cookie recipe. Hope the reindeer lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading these conversations between you and ROM. So damn funny! I hope you keep sharing them with us. You two are a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did the little reindeer live? You have such a delightful sense of humor. Thanks for the recipe. I want to try these.

    You're a treasure and I'm so glad I found your blog. You always make me chuckle. Hope you , your loved ones and your darling dogs have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll take your cookie breath and raise you Stoli and Baileys.

    And no, it's not pretty. I'm making those cookies, though! With rum, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. im going to make these.. and when i do i will post it to my blog along with your blog link..is that ok? lol.. i love trying new things..i can take pics for you of them..lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Y'all are so sweet. Thanks for the kind comments. And yes, ROM was able to revive the baby reindeer.

    twunty mcslore- Hmm... with rum? In the cookies prebaking or to wash the cookies down after they baked?

    Blogging by Pictures- Oh, please do take pics! I was too lazy to make bars and roll them in the powdered sugar-LOL I'm still in awe of your Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!