In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Friday, February 18, 2011

Bicycle Built For Two and Silver Alerts...

It been a gorgeous week In SW Florida. I do believe winter is over! It's finally warmed up into the low 80's, the clouds have cleared and the sun has returned to the Sunshine State. Now that it's warm again the little geckos have come out of their hiding places to lounge in the sun which drives our Jack Russell Terrier crazy. Unfortunately a few have met their death when they ventured down from the lanai plants, low enough for the JRT to grab them. The smart ones stay outside on the other side of the screen where she can merely bark at them in a high pitched frenzy which makes me want to stab my ear drums. Isabella saves her barking for old men in golf carts and people on 3 wheel bicycles. She was beside herself today when a friend and Bella's favorite pup rode by on a bicycle built for two- a human to pedal and dog in a basket.   


After a just a couple of barks, she regained her self control and watched them ride on down the street.


And then she gave me this look as if to say "Why don't I have a bike?"
 Rather than waste these beautiful days barking at geckos or people, I started cleaning up my plants, trimming back the foliage damaged by the freezing temps we had. Surprisingly, most of my little succulent and air plants came through the unusually cold weather we had just fine. My rubber tree plants and Bird of Paradise foliage didn't fair as well. But I think once I cut off all the damaged parts, the main plants will be fine and will regrow.

It seems the nice weather has also lured people out of their homes that would be better off staying at home. I had never heard of Silver Alerts before we moved to Florida. Of course I was familiar with Amber Alerts for missing children, but had never heard of an alert system for missing seniors. Today there was a Silver Alert issued for an 87 year old man with dementia. This happens way too often down here. What I want to know is why these elderly people with dementia and Alzheimer's have access to cars! I think that's a fair question, don't you?

1 comment:

  1. Yes it is a fair question. I worry about my Grandma, who is in her late 80's, still driving!

    The dog in the basket looks like his tail is a flag. lol

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!