In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Night of Storms, Drug Seeking Dog and Vomit Covered Ear

After weeks of sunny but extremely dry weather, we finally had a chance of rain appear in our forecast. And sure enough, around sunset Sunday night clouds moved in and Isabella started pacing.

(Click pictures to see full size)

Though the weather guy said our best chance for rain was Monday morning, Isabella insisted the skies would soon open at any moment and we all would die. Her Xanax (the generic because I'm cheap) are kept in my desk drawer and she knows it. She alternated from pacing to sitting in front of the desk drawer for several hours. By 10 p.m. I couldn't stand the pacing anymore so got her Xanax out of the drawer and you can see her eager response to the sight of her beloved special storm meds...
You'd think they were frigging gourmet dog treats! Oddly enough, she only sits at the drawer wanting them when there are storms in the area. I'm hoping that means she isn't an addict and only wants them for legitimate theraputic reasons. If I ever catch her hanging around street corners doing nasty things to strange dogs in exchange for drugs, I'm sending her to rehab. I wonder if she could get on Celebrity Rehab?

Once again Isabella was right and the weather man was wrong. The storms started about midnight instead of Monday morning. And damn did it storm! We got that booming thunder that makes the ceiling light fixtures rattle. Lightning was intense and the power flickered a few times. Even with one and half pills in her, she was convinced the evil thunder demon was going to come through the ceiling, scream prostitution whore at us, chase us through the house, rip our hair out and crush us with a flipped table (yes, she watches Real Housewives with me). So I played countless games of solitaire on the computer and she sat in the hallway, shaking and staring at the wall. She'll sit like that during an entire storm as long as I'm at my computer with the door open and she can see me. If I leave the computer room she glues herself to me following my every step.

By about 3 a.m. I got one of those sudden migraines I sometimes get when weather fronts move through. It was one of those crushing ones that always ends with me vomiting. Within an hour I was leaning over the toilet vomiting my innards out with a terrified dog attached to my side. I'd push her away and she'd move right back in on me, even closer. Somehow she got her head over the toilet and the next thing I knew I'd vomited on her ear. So then I had to get her in the tub and wash the puke off her which made me sick all over again. As I moved back to the toilet, I was sternly telling her to stay in the tub, and thank ya jezzuz she listened to me. When I finally had nothing left in me to vomit, I quickly towel dried her head, cleaned the tub,  washed my face and brushed my teeth. About that time Real Old Man got up to get ready for work and the first thing he said was "Why are you bathing Bella at this time in the morning?" I just gave him a look and said "Don't ask a fucking thing!". I gave Bella another pill and went to bed.

I got up a few hours later and it was still raining...

At noon it was still raining

Late afternoon it was still raining...

Early evening it was still raining


And it continued to rain

As I sat in the computer room tonight, Isabella took up her usual storm position in the hallway staring at the wall waiting for something awful to happen.  
 


It's now midnight, 24 hours after from the beginning of the storm. The rain has stopped and all is well in Isabella's world again. After a devouring a bowl of food, a trip outside to potty, she crawled into her crate and is soundly asleep. She'll stay there until I go to bed. No matter how quiet I am, the minute I turn the computer off, she leaps up and beats me to the bedroom.
I think we're both ready for a quiet uneventful night, sound sleep and hopefully no one gets puked on...

6 comments:

  1. Poor doggie, poor you. But I gotta admit I laughed. Hope you & Bella get a good night's sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Isabella!!

    hehehehehehe, I still LOL picturing the whole scene .. and poor ROM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always get such a kick out of your pictures. Hands down, the best one Bella staring at a wall 3 inches in front of her face. I want to make that my screensaver.
    Sorry you feel so crappy :-(
    -Moncada

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I just love your blog! Poor you and poor Isabella! I can only imagine how you felt cleaning the vomit out of her hair after you just finished all that heaving! Hope you're both better and I love the little figure with the cap on in one of your photos, so cute. Thanks for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. from ImaJillHater2 -

    Poor Bella! I feel her pain because as a child I was so terrified of storms my body would shake with fright.

    This was back in the "old days" before God made Xanax!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Need a Hobby- Rain is all over for the week and Bella is much happier now

    Bea- ROM should know better than to ask silly questions that early in the day-LOL

    Monocada- I'd love to know what goes thru her mind while she stares at that wall.

    Anonymous- thank you for reading and liking my blog! Are you talking about the naked old lady? I sculpted her a year or so ago- shes my alter ego-LOL

    I'm A Jill Hater- How awful that you had such a fear of storms when you were a child. Must have been miserable for you. I hope you've gotten over the fear, or like Bella, have a big bottle of xanax.

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!