In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spies, Storms, Beach, and Don't Steal My 'Maters!

It's been awhile since I posted here. Twitter drama has taken up my blogging time. Real life drama can never compare to Twitter drama, thank gawd! Nice thing about Twitter drama is you can just turn the computer off and laugh about it. So I'd pick pseudo Twitter drama over real life drama any day. In fact, my real life is pretty much drama free and serene.

In real life I only have little creatures like this gecko spying on me. Yes, I know it's really called an anole, but I like the word gecko better. This one watched my every move as I was potting up the mandevillia in the boxes on each side of my potting bench.

 This is a female gecko (anole)- the girls have white stripes down their back.

 Finally got the trellises attached to the sides and top of the potting bench. Notice my rain barrel in the far left of the photo? We got it at Lowes last year and I love it. Rain water is so much better for plants than tap water, plus it helps conserve water.
The mandevillia is doing great since being planted it in the boxes and has started blooming.


My rain barrel was getting low until a storm blew in Friday. Isabella woke me up at 6 a.m. shaking so hard the entire bed was vibrating. Even though the storm was a good 5 hours away out in the Gulf, she knew it was coming. I guess she senses a change in pressure or something. I'd really planned on sleeping in that morning, but after getting up to give her meds I couldn't go back to sleep. Damn dog needs to learn how to get her own drugs.


 Storm finally hit just before noon, lots of rain and wind...
.. for only about a half hour. Though the storm was brief, the heavy wind blew over some of my outside potted plants, shredded some patio lanterns that were hanging inside the lanai, and ruined Isabella's day.


The day before the storm I noticed this sign in one of my neighbor's potted tomato plants. I laughed so hard I had to go in the house so no one would hear me.  The gardener is a very nice old Italian man and his wife, who live across the street during the winter. He has a very thick Italian accent and spends a lot of time tending to his tomatoes, other vegetables, and fruit trees. Evidently he's been noticing tomatoes missing from his plants so he put this sign up...


I would guess it's critters getting his tomatoes, as I can't imagine anyone around here stealing veggies. And the petty thieves that have been going around neighborhoods stealing from people's cars aren't the kind of people I think would be interested in fresh produce. Years ago ROM tried to grow tomatoes but as fast they ripened the squirrels would take them. Wish I had a photo of ROM chasing after a squirrel yelling "You rotten fucker, stay out of my tomatoes!" as it ran up a tree with his tomato in it's mouth dripping tomato juice up the tree. It was freaking hilarious. He tried covering them with chicken wire, a scare crow, and frequent patrolling of the area. They still got his tomatoes so he finally gave up. We now get our vegetables at a local fresh produce market. Let them worry about the squirrels. Anyway, back to the old Italian guy and his tomatoes. I noticed yesterday as we were going to the beach that the tomato plants were gone. I don't know if the storm got them or if his tomato thieves came back, and this time took the plants and all-LOL Leaving the big tomato mystery behind, we headed for the beach...


3 comments:

  1. As always, love your pictures. The sign in the front yard was so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard at your account of ROM, I almost didn't finish reading the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm LMAO at the sign, the missing tomato plant ^ esp. ROM chasing & yelling at thieving squirrels! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!