In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Thursday, September 1, 2011

Squirrely Little Bastard and Misplaced Sunset

When I took the dogs out yesterday afternoon, this little squirrel was on the lower trunk of one of my palm trees. In the years we've lived here I've seen very few squirrels, and never seen one in any of our palm trees before. After I took the dogs back in, I went back out with my camera and he had moved up into the top of the tree. I think he was as curious about me as I was about him.
(Click photos to see full size) 
 As he moved around on the fronds, he kept his eye on me.



 I think he'd finally had enough of me because he started furiously swishing his tail and making a chattering noise. So I retreated before he really got pissed and ripped my face off.



I don't know what he was looking for in the palm tree. Back in IL. we always had squirrels in our walnut and hickory trees, but have no idea what squirrels eat in FL. Our palm trees do produce bunches of these nutty looking things, but I don't know if they're seeds or nuts, or even if they're edible.



Yesterday evening when I went out to watch the sunset, the colors weren't where they should have been- all the color was in the north.

In the western sky where the sun sets and where I usually see the color, I saw this-
When I went back inside I looked up the time of the moon set and it was about the same time as the sunset. So instead of seeing the sunset in the western sky, I saw the moon setting. Why color showed up in the north sky, I don't know. I need to research this and learn more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk To Me!