In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Weekend of Shopping, Movies, and Scaring An Old Man


Though I'm still pouting over the early end of summer, we did manage to find some things to do this past weekend. With it being Halloween weekend, I just had to see Paranormal Activity 3. I've seen 1 and 2 which I thought were great and have really been looking forward to 3. I loved how in 1 and 2 the suspense just builds and builds to a big ending, and the fact that they don't use guts and gore for shock value.


So...  we decided to take in an evening showing of Paranormal Activity 3 Saturday night at a local cineplex. How in the world do families afford going to the movies now days? Just for the two us, one large bag of popcorn and two medium soft drinks it was $31! No wonder so many people wait for movies to come out on DVD and home pay per view.  But I have to admit, there's something about sitting in a dark theater watching a movie on the huge screen. Perhaps it's because I grew up watching movies at neighborhood theaters every weekend, I still enjoy movies more in a theater.


Paranormal Activity 3 didn't disappoint, it was just as good as 1 and 2. (If you haven't seen 1 and 2, I recommend you watch them before going to see 3.) It was a great flick and got several "Holy shits!" out of me as I watched. I love getting scared, almost as much as I love scaring other people. And I especially love scaring Real Old Man.


As we were leaving the movie ROM had to stop at the restroom, and I told him I was going out to the car and would meet him there. Then I realized it was dark so decided to wait for him. I stepped around the corner to wait when it occurred to me it was the perfect set up to scare him. I'd seen one man go in right before him and guessed that ROM would come out after him. Sure enough the guy came out and I heard ROM cough as he approached the door so I was sure the next guy to come around the corner would be ROM. As he stepped around the corner I jumped out in front of him waving my hands in the air and screamed "Boo!"  


It wasn't ROM... it was a white haired stooped over little old man. Holy shitballs! Poor old guy jumped back, eyes as big as saucers, clutching his chest with both hands. I apologized profusely... repeatedly! ROM was coming out behind the old man and he laughed his ass off (he said the expression on my face was priceless) as I smothered the old man in I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry! Luckily he had a sense of humor and laughed when I explained I thought he was my husband. And luckily he didn't have a heart attack and drop dead which I guess would have made me a murderer. Thank you jezzuz! I do not want to be a story on the Nancy Grace show- "Bomb shell tonight! The Real Old Housewife is a Real Old Killer!"


Sunday we decided to go shopping on the island. I've been looking for a either a metal or stoneware plate to display a sculpted bust. I couldn't tell you exactly what I want, it's one of those things that you know when you see it. And I didn't see it in any of the shops we visited. The search continues. Though I didn't come home with what I set out for, I didn't come home empty handed. I bought some candles and some new capris for these cooler days we're having. And I'll close this with some photos I took while we were shopping...
Entrance to one of my favorite shops-
The Sand Dollar









A stop to talk to the parrots



One of the murals that can be found on island buildings

Bridge Street

Intercoastal Waterway right across from the
Bridgetender Restaurant

6 comments:

  1. LOL, you kill me! Poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rom ImaJillHater2 -
    Omg ROH!!! Lying in wait & frightening an old man - too funny! Luv the island pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only you, dear lady! Only you! I get such a kick out of this blog. Sure wish you'd write more often. Would love to hear more of your old stories you keep promising us. I bet you have some crazy funnny ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bea- I was so mortified and flet like a total ass scaring that little old man. But oh my, how ROM loved it-LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. ImaJillHater2 - And didn't I feel like a total ass? LOL ROM loved that my little prank turned on me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous- Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind comment. I'll try to do better and write more here. And yes, I have a lot of stories to tell- the crazy things I've gotten myself involved in.

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!