In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Thursday, January 5, 2012

Warming Temps Bring Out The Geckos, Old People & Danglers-


During the recent bitter cold spell the streets were deserted... not a biker, walker, scooter rider or golf cart to be seen. Even the little geckos disappeared into their hidden nooks and crannies to stay warm.  Today as the warm temperatures return to sunny SW Florida the local wildlife are emerging from their warm hideaways. Geckos are basking in the sun and the old people are out roaming the streets once again.

I like the old people, really I do (well most of them). They're cute, often funny, and are usually entertaining to watch. They're so friendly and I try to be friendly in return, though I've had to put a limit on the numbers of waves each gets a day. It was getting completely ridiculous the number of times I was having to wave to certain individuals. So I made a new rule- two waves per person per day. I don't care how many times you ride your three wheel bike around the block, I'm only going to wave to you twice. I'm sorry, it's nothing personal but that's the way it is. I can't wear my arms out waving over and over again every day. I have other things my arms need to do.

And it's not just the waving that gets annoying, the stopping to chat thingie gets tiresome, too. Sometimes I'm clearly busy doing something and it's not a good time to talk. Like this morning when I was dealing with Emmy and her dangler...

Emmy loves to bite at Isabella's long ear fringe and for some reason I don't understand she frequently swallows some of that long hair. Well, what goes in has to come out and that's how Emmy ends up with danglers... a poopie that's come too far out to go back in, but attached to a long hair that's still way up her pooper.  

So back to this morning... Emmy had a dangler and regardless of how much effort she put into it, it just wasn't coming loose. That's when I have to put a baggy over my hand and assist her. It's disgusting, I don't like it, but you do what you have to do when you have dogs. As I'm bent over, gently working the dangler free, a couple in a golf cart pull up and the woman cheerfully asks "Whatcha' doing?" What in the hell does it look like I'm doing? It's obvious what I'm doing- I'm holding Emmy's tail up with one hand and pulling on poop with the bagged hand. But I was polite as I smiled and cheerfully told her "I'm just pulling shit out of Emmy's ass. How are you today?" Of course that led to questions about why I was having to pull shit out of my dog and I had to go through the whole dangler explanation before they were satisfied and drove off. I think that exchange was equal to two waves so I'm not waving at them when they come back by later.



Photos of the day.... packing away Christmas for another year...

Christmas decorations are replaced by hibiscus blooms that withstood the freezing temps...

3 comments:

  1. Jesus H. Christ, you crack me up! A dangler? TFF! I adore you and your humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things we do for our dogs. I love how you limit the habitual wavers to just two per day. You are such a character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time you should chuck the dangler at the happy couple. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!