In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Sunday, April 8, 2012

What Easter Means To Me....

... it means that the tourists and snowbirds will soon be returning home- hallelujah!  It's horrible out on the Island on Easter weekend and we don't go anywhere near it. It's literally over run with tourists on the beach, in the restaurants and the shops while clogging the streets with traffic. They're like a plague of locusts only worse. And if that isn't bad enough, for some reason Easter weekend is when local Latino gangs gather on Anna Maria Island beaches which at times has resulted in gunfire and shootings. So we spend the holiday weekend at places tourists don't know about or frequent. One of the quiet places we enjoy is a little marina on Palma Sola Bay.

Click All Photos To See Full Size


Saturday was beautiful- sunny and almost 85 degrees. We put the top down on my little Tracker, loaded the dogs up and off to the marina we went. It was very quiet there and very few people, which Isabella appreciated. Bella loves to go in the car, if the car door is open you can't keep her out of it. And once she's in she refuses to get out until she's taken for a ride. She just doesn't like getting out of the car until she's back in her own driveway. I did make her get out and walk for a bit around the marina but when I got tired of her trying to yank me back to the car, I let her get back in while we took photos. Knowing Isabella as we do, we had parked the car in the shade where she could be comfortable and still see us. Of course Emmy was having a ball barking at the terns and pelicans as they dove for fish.



We always see manatees swimming around in the marina water and yesterday was no exception. We watched a mama manatee and baby until they swam out into Palma Sola Bay. Here is mama sticking her snout out of the water.

There are always lots of pelicans diving for fish and sunning themselves on the docks.



After leaving the marina we traveled on down Palma Sola Boulevard to visit my favorite tree, a beautiful old banyan tree. It's massive!


Banyan trees are fig trees which I think are native to India.  As they mature, they develop aerial roots that strengthen into prop roots to support the heavy limbs. The prop roots are as wide as a palm tree trunk.

Would this not be an amazing tree for a kid to climb around on?


All along the boulevard are patches of wild flowers, unusual palm trees, and views of the Bay. For some reason I completely forgot to take any photos of the Bay itself.


On our way home we stopped at one of our favorite restaurants to pick up supper and bring home with us- peel and eat shrimp, grouper sandwiches and key lime pie. Perfect end to a perfect day! I hope you all enjoyed your Easter weekend as much as we did.

9 comments:

  1. That tree is gorgeous!! Can't remember ever seeing one like that. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, ROH!! Sounds like u had a fabulous Easter!

    LuvToLoveU

    P.S. I would climb that tree! I mentality is stuck at kid level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog. Your pictures are always great. That tree is amazing. I've never seen anything like it.

    You really inspire me ROH. You and ROM always find something interesting to do and it makes me want to get out an explore my own area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tree! I would climb around with the kids. LOL your pictures are always so wonderful. I look forward to your blogs. You show an area I will probably never see.
    Take care sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the trees & Isabella! My dog Buddy does the same thing, how funny! Happy to hear you had a good Easter!

    ~NoHoHousewife

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful time. We have a few of those ginormous fig trees here in Orange County, CA, and in San Diego also. they're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always so Jelly of the wildlife you have around you. They new roots around the base of the tree look like fallen angels. Love it.

    As for forgetting to tak epictures of the bay...Roll in the sand? lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog brought back so many wonderful memories for me. My parents lived in Palma Sola Harbour. I
    spent many holidays there. It really is paradise! I totally remember that tree too! So glad Isabella had a great day! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at my pics and leave comments! It's much appreciated. Lizzy, that's amazing you know this area and have seen the tree. I love that tree! If I was rich I'd buy that house just for the tree.

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!