In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Fine Line Between Crazy Liars and Interesting Eccentrics


This is a common sight in all of the 55 & over communities in the area. The snowbirds are battening down the hatches of their winter homes and making their way back up north. Soon these pretty red geraniums will be withered up dead vegetation. And come November the people that live here will return and plant new geraniums.  Or a for sale sign will appear. Some people don't make it back, just the way it is in older communities.  People die, develop serious health problems, or just get too frail to make the trip. 

I'm finding it harder and harder to find people I really enjoy.  All of my neighbors are perfectly nice people- courteous, pleasant, and friendly. But oh so boring... I can only talk about the weather and trivial niceties so long before my eyes glaze over and my mind begins to wander. I guess I like edgy people that are a bit eccentric but that's gotten me in trouble when they turn out to be just a tad too edgy and I eventually catch on that they're bat shit crazy, and then I don't know how to get rid of them. You think the duck story was crazy, oh lordy the stories I could tell you about some of the people that have come and gone from life over the years. The older I get the harder it is to find edgy, witty and fun people that haven't crossed that fine line between being edgy and being unstable.

Speaking of unstable... why are so many of them online???  I've been online since the late 90's and have ran into so many crazies in political, spiritual and artist groups, and now on Twitter. I recently discovered someone I met online who I thought I knew well is in fact a complete fraud.  Over and over again I've met people that at first seem to be amazing, fun people who are living interesting lives. In time I find out those interesting lives they're sharing are mostly made up and heavily embellished. Why are so many people dissatisfied with their real lives? And why put so much energy into making up a fantasy life instead of putting that energy into changing whatever it is that makes them unhappy with their real life?  The older I get the less I understand people. That's why I love my dogs- they never put on airs and try to be what they aren't. Relationships aren't a game with them- they accept and love me as I am and trust that I love them just as they are, which I do... 

2 comments:

  1. Ha- if you only knew. Your twitty friends with one of the biggest liars in twatter land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The less I understand it too, SMH

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!