In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Friday, May 18, 2012

Termites, Suspicious Characters, and Dogs

 For days now, we've noticed this guy walking by the house, down to the end of the cul-de-sac, then he  turns around and walks back to where ever he came from. He does this several time a day. He's very focused, keeps up the same pace, doesn't stop to look at anything or talk to anyone.  He's always carrying that black bag and a bottle of water. I'm so curious as to what he has in the bag. Maybe a defibrillator? If keeps walking around in the heat of the day he may very well need it. I asked a neighbor who knows everything about everyone and even she didn't know who he was. I've thought about following him to see where he's coming from, but it's hot and I'm lazy. It's close to 90 each day and I'm now in summer mode. The only thing I do outside now is sit my fat ass on the lanai under the ceiling fans until the sun begins to go down.


Not only is it now summertime in SW FL., it's also termite season. Every May like clockwork the bastards show up. We've had our house treated several times, but I don't know if you ever get rid of termites completely and forever in FL. I had no idea termites were such a problem in Florida until we moved here. I thought we were done with them when we didn't find any of the tell tale wings for several years. But they're back and have driven me out of the computer room. For some reason they are attracted to light, and of course I'm on my computer late at night with my desk light on which was like flashing a welcome sign to the hungry little bastards. When termites swarm in the spring they lose their wings before they settle in to eat your house to the ground. And the other night I saw a small pile of wings scattered on the top of my desk so I knew they were back. The wings are small and transparent. I tried to take photo of them on paper towel with my camera's macro on, but they are still hard to see.




I've counted 4 different exterminating company trucks on my street just today so I know we aren't the only ones that have been cursed by a recent visit by the little winged demons. Termite treatments costs some serious money and I'm sure it's like Christmas for the exterminators. We keep treating and just hope our homes survive until we die.  Then the little fuckers can have the place if they want it. For now  I'm so creeped out by them I'm staying out of the computer room and using my laptop. Of course termites have no interest people and don't bite, but the thought of them and the chemicals used to kill them definitely makes me uncomfortable. 


Termites didn't worry Isabella as she blissfully lounged and napped on her ottoman this afternoon. No storms anywhere near us today so she's happy. 


Some have accused me having a favorite dog because I post so many photos of Isabella and not many of Emmy, our Jack Russell Terrier. The reason why is it's hard to get her to sit still long enough for a photo. As Isabella calmly napped while I took her picture, Emmy was posed on the arm of the couch momentarily- the minute I aimed the camera at her and she heard the chime as I took this photo she flew off the couch and came running to me. I have no idea why. She's seen me take photos for years but she still has to check the camera out when she hears the chime. And that is why I don't post many photos of her.

I think it's going to be a beach day for us tomorrow. Hope you're all having nice weather where ever you are and you get out to do something fun this weekend...

1 comment:

  1. umm, hmmm ... we all know which is your favorite ;-D lol

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!