In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Tuesday, June 26, 2012

NOAA Totally Failed With TS Debby!

I know y'all are used to me posting cheerful beach pictures and telling funny stories, but I'm pissed and need to ventilate. If you've been following me on Twitter you've seen me tweeting for several days about Tropical Storm Debby. I'm not pissed so much that She's causing such a mess here, I'm pissed that NOAA failed so horribly in predicting her path. Six days ago local weather people were predicting that She could come to Florida, but NOAA kept Her on a track to go west and hit La. or TX. 

As I watched the radar maps Saturday it was clear even to me She was going to hit Florida, but NOAA stuck to their predictions of her going west and missing us. And everyone always giving the most creditably to NOAA's predictions. So when Debbie decided to give Florida a big ol' hug, we weren't prepared. 


If we had warning that Debbie was coming here, the record number of sea turtle nests that had been laid this summer on Anna Maria Island could have been relocated and saved from the flooding and erosion our beaches have suffered in the past few days. By the time we realized how bad it was going to get, it was too late. And that is a damn shame! You can read about the sea turtle nests here. NOAA has to do better! 

Saturday and Sunday were miserable for us. Relentless torrential rains went on nonstop flooding neighborhoods, roads, and much of Anna Maria Island. And if that wasn't enough there have been numerous tornadoes in the area. Then Sunday night the winds started, gawd I hate the wind. 

This is what it looked like out my windows Monday morning and most of the day-





Finally Monday afternoon The National Weather Service issued this Tropical Storm warning for us. Too little too late.

Luckily, ROM and I have had no damage to our home or lost power, unlike so many in the area. A local news story about TS Debby and the damage She's done can be read here. I spent Monday running the sump pump to keep up with the rain water under our house, getting the dogs out for potty breaks between storm squalls, and trying to keep Isabella from losing her mind. I don't know how long a dog can go with out sleeping but I'm betting she broke some records this weekend.

The rains have let up this evening but the wind has been a bitch. Every 15 minutes or so it will gust, grab at the metal awnings on the back of the house and bang them loudly. I finally got a two hour nap this evening while ROM sat with Isabella, but I'm now up with her for yet another night. I just can't leave her sitting alone when she's so distressed. My presence doesn't seem to help that much, but I just can't leave her alone to go through this. Right now it's quiet and she's napping here by my desk, but there's more bands of rain heading our way soon.

Anyway, I just had to do some bitching about NOAA and the needless loss of all those sea turtle nests. Oops- I spoke too soon about it being quiet right now- here comes another squall line of rain- I can hear the wind blowing sheets of rain against the house right this moment. Here is a short video I took of the wind blowing the palm tree in my front yard this afternoon-


1 comment:

  1. On the good side, you are now getting some rain. That's horrible about the little turtles though. Poor Tramona.

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!