In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Friday, June 22, 2012

Palm Trees, Night Heron, and Hurricanes

The week started out so nice- sunny and an unexpected break from the high humidity. Yesterday the humidity started rise, winds picked up, and clouds rolled in bringing rain. I took these photos of the flowering palm tree in my yard yesterday morning before the rains arrived. Bees love these little yellow flowers and swarm around them up in the tree and those that have fallen on the ground. Makes it tricky taking the dogs in the yard while keeping them from stepping on the bees. 

See the pod that opened and released the flowers? Right now it's yellow like the flowers but it will later turn a rich dark brown color. There are so many decorative things you can do with them once they are dried out. I've even sculpted on them and turned them into wall hanging. I have a huge one I collected after the hurricanes of 2004 when so many trees were blown down.


But back to the stormy weather we're having... I went out last night about 1 a.m. to see if the clouds had cleared enough to see the Space Station as it passed over our area. It was too cloudy but I did see this yellow crowned night heron looking for a snack in the standing water left from the earlier storm. I'm guessing there were little frogs, toads and snails he was feasting on.  I couldn't get very close to him without scaring him off and due to the low light the photo isn't very good, but I loved how he was reflected in the standing water. I turned my flash on to get this photo which startled him and off he flew.

We had rain again today and they've predicted it's going to rain through the weekend. Drats- no sunny beach time. According to the weather reports tonight there's a high probability a hurricane could form in the Gulf. This is when we all hold our breath waiting to see if it forms and if it does, where it's going to hit.
This was the map on NOAA website with the following information:

IS GRADUALLY BECOMING BETTER DEFINED AND SURFACE PRESSURES ARE
SLOWLY FALLING ACROSS THE AREA. UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE ALSO
IMPROVING AND ARE FORECAST TO BECOME MORE CONDUCIVE FOR DEVELOPMENT
OF A TROPICAL DEPRESSION DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO. THIS SYSTEM HAS
A HIGH CHANCE...70 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING
THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES SLOWLY NORTHWARD INTO THE CENTRAL
GULF OF MEXICO. INTERESTS ALONG THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES GULF COAST
SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS LARGE DISTURBANCE THROUGH THE
WEEKEND. HEAVY RAINS AND LOCALIZED FLOODING ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE
YUCATAN PENINSULA...WESTERN CUBA...AND SOUTHERN FLORIDA THROUGH
SATURDAY. AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT IS SCHEDULED
TO INVESTIGATE THE SYSTEM TOMORROW AFTERNOON...IF NECESSARY.

So it looks like this will be a good weekend to go see a movie or shop, or both! I better check Isabella's meds, too, and make sure I have enough on hand to keep her from shaking to death. I hope your weekend will bring you better weather than we're going to have. If it does- get out there and enjoy it!

4 comments:

  1. I heard about your storms. You, and two other friends are on the S.West Coast of FLA. So glad things are simmering down. I love the Heron photo. The orange reflections in the water are cool, and the feeling comes across of interrupting his late summer snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cyn! I was hoping for a clearer picture, but had to take what I could get. He was sure skittish and took off as soon as the flash went off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Heron pic is absolutely awesome. When I glanced at I thought it was lava. OI had to open the photo up and focus to understand what I was seeing. Still sick about the turle nests :-(

    -moncada

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Moncada! I wonder what my neighors think if they see me out in the middle of night stalking birds and talking photos? LOL
    I'm pissed and sick over the turtle nests- I just blogged about it. I just had to bitch about it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!