In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Monday, July 23, 2012

Walking on seashells, one step ahead of the storm...

We headed to the island Sunday, hoping to get in a few hours of beach time before the predicted storm arrived. 


Even though it's been several weeks since Tropical Storm Debby blew through our area, I still haven't adjusted to the damage done to the beaches. The water is once again a clear turquoise color but large portions of the beach are still missing. There has been talk of replacing the sand but nothing has been done yet. Pssst.... now's not a good time to spend your hard earned money on an Anna Maria Island vacation. 


I can't imagine the tourists reactions when they arrive for their long awaited vacation only to find the powder white beaches are now a layer of coarse sand and crushed shells.  Walking barefoot on the beach is now like walking on broken glass. I heard a lot of "Ow ow ow! Ouch!" As people walked the beach. 



I didn't do much walking before I had to sit down and give my tender feet a break. I'm going to have to get a pair of plastic flip flops to wear when we walk the beach. My baby soft feet aren't up to walking on this crap. 




In fact we didn't see many people walking like we usually do. Most were in the water or sitting with books.


That storm we raced to the beach finally caught up with us. Dark heavy clouds began to roll in so we loaded up and headed home. 


                             


And we just made it to the lanai when the sky opened up and the rain started.


Instead of spending the late afternoon on the beach, I worked in my studio room watching the wind make the palm tree dance and the rain run down the windows. Not a bad way to end the day, not bad at all...


6 comments:

  1. Such a shame that Debbie did so much damage to your beaches. I always look forward to your pictures from the weekends. I'd love to see a picture of your studio and some of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous- I'm in the process of cleaning up my studio. I have a tendency to jump from project to project without cleaning up and putting things away. As soon as I get it presentable (actually it never gets to the point of being presentable, I kid myself ;) I'll take a pic.

      Delete
  2. I love your life ROH!! :) Still missing you in Twitterville. Hugs

    AsianPosh1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss you, too! I love that you stop by my blog to say hi, I kinda like my life too! xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. Why can't comments be left on your other blog? And you haven't been blogging the bravo shows. Roh, you need to come back to twatter and tell those mean women to fuck off. I know you don't want to fight with them and was hurt when they turned on you so just block and ignore their hatefulness. I won't say their names in fear you'll lock comments on this blog to but we all know who the two were that drove you off twatter. So many of us miss you and want you back. Twatter just isn't the same without you. Please please come back! I'll buy you a new moomoo if you'll come back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto what A said! Please come back and start doing recaps again. Nobody does them as well as you do Roh. You are missed by many on twitter, don't let the meanies keep you away.

      Delete

Talk To Me!