In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricanes, Blizzards and Tsunamis, Oh My!

We had big plans to dress up and go to Bradenton's Zombie Fest Saturday night, but I woke up that morning with a rotten cold. So instead of partying with the undead I sat home with red puffy eyes, sniffling and coughing as I watched coverage of Hurricane Sandy churning her way up the Atlantic and  chatted on Twitter.  One of the best things about Twitter is you often know instantly when something big is happening, no matter where it's happening. I started seeing tweets that a 7.7  earthquake just off shore of western Canada.  Shortly after that I started seeing tweets about a tsunami on it's way to Hawaii, and it wasn't long before news of the tsunami warning was being shown on The Weather Channel. Sweet jezzuz, maybe this Mayan crap was true after all, but I'm beginning to wonder if we'll last until Dec. 21.

So there I sat watching coverage of the Frankenstorm (Hurricane Sandy)  preparing to obliterate the east coast and watching a live feed from Hawaii as they prepared for a tsunami coming it's way.  I felt like I was watching one of those over the top made for TV disaster movies. Just throw in some tornadoes for the Midwest and you'd have one hell of a movie. Fortunately the tsunami turned out to be a big to-do about nothing.

As if Sandy wasn't enough, there is also a cold front moving in from the west bringing blizzard conditions to W. Va. and surrounding areas. You can almost draw a line with the cold front on one side of it and Sandy on the other side. Some really nasty shit is going on in most the eastern states!


Hurricane Sandy made landfall at Jersey Shore this evening and is still going strong now at 2 a.m.  Sandy grew to be 1000 miles wide before she hit land and most of the east coast has been impacted by this monster. Last I heard over 5 million people are without power tonight.

That cold front bringing snow to W.Va. pushed it's way down into SW Florida today and our temps really dropped. We didn't even get up to 70 today and it's dropping down into the 50s tonight. It was close to 90 every day last week but it looks like summer has come to an abrupt end for us. I was running the air yesterday but had to switch over to heat today. I was not ready for this big cool off and had to dig around to find some long pants and sweatshirt so I could take the dogs out this morning.


This sudden cool down called for our first "winter" food of the season so I made a pot of chili and let simmer all afternoon. Of course I had to make cornbread to go with it... thank gawd I won't be putting on a swim suit this weekend.




As I watched tonight's full moon rise and took these photos, I couldn't help but think that this beautiful moon was making the east coast's high tides even worse as Sandy's storm surge pushed water on land. I hope all our east coast friends and loved ones come through this storm safe and sound...



6 comments:

  1. Sorry you were a sicky. I agree that these weather reports really looked like "The Day After Tomorrow" or "2012". the Chili and Cornbread look yummers. Check out my Day of The Dead post from how I spent my Saturday with my sister at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery on Santa Monica Blvd. Annual Day of the Dead festival was tons of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out your post- sounds intriguing!

      Delete
  2. Hello RealOldHouseWife! I emailed you. I didn't realize you had two blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I appreciated your email. I had no idea this was going on.

      Delete
  3. Hope you're all better by now, ROH. Yes, the extreme weather, drought, and even worse massive Hate Campaigns being run over the coming elections has me wondering about the future of Planet Earth, as well. Oh well. Guess we should party like it's 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might as well party- so much of what's going on is out of our control.

      Delete

Talk To Me!