In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Thursday, November 8, 2012

Florida- It's A Good Thing She's Pretty...

... because she isn't very smart. Here it is almost 2 a.m. Thursday morning and Florida still hasn't finished processing our votes.  I just took this screen capture and it's the same way it looked 24 hours ago. 


We still lived in the Midwest during the 2000 FL. voting fiasco that cost Al Gore the election. I was hoping it was a unique situation that would never be repeated. Silly me. Was the snafu merely incompetence of Florida officials and Gov. Rick Scott or were there more sinister reasons? I don't know. But it seems odd that most of the voting problems were in areas where there was strong minority support for President Obama. It may have been a complete coincidence but it makes one wonder. 


Whatever the reason is for this mess, something has to be done about it. In all my years of voting, I've never before felt so left out of the process. Even when my candidate lost, I still felt involved because my damn vote at least got counted! I thought there would be a barrage of outrage in the local and state news, but I've read and heard very little about it. Yes, it turned out Obama didn't need Florida to win, but that's not the point. Am I the only Floridian that is outraged our votes weren't counted until days after the election? Come on Florida, we deserve better and must demand it! 

Hopefully the days of the old conservative Republicans holding all the power in Florida are coming to an end. As the older conservatives die off and more moderate baby boomers move to the state I believe we will see a power shift. We're already seeing it begin to change. Who would have thought in 2000 that eight years later a young Black Democrat would take the state? And that he'd do it again in 2012! Now if we can only vote Rick Scott out as Governor in the next election... 

2 comments:

  1. Hey ROH, just bought the documentary Catfish on Amazon and was looking at other stuff online. Found answer to your question on Wikipedia re the origin of name #Catfish: "the story that gives the film its name. He claims that when live cod were shipped to Asia from North America, the fish's inactivity in their tanks resulted in mushy flesh in the Asian markets. Eventually, the fishermen discovered that putting catfish in the tanks with the cod kept them active. Vince feels that people like Angela are catfish, who keep other people active in life." I fell asleep before the MTV episode : (
    Was nice chatting with you last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a strange way to come up with a name for his docu-LOL I could do without Angela's in my life ;) Yes, it was nice chatting last night- just like the old days when we'd all be on Twitter together

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!