In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Saturday, December 29, 2012

Can I Touch It?

Those of you who have been reading here for awhile have heard me talk about my neighbor, Dryer Sheet Lady. She's a hoot, and like me, a bit odd. She's also one the sweetest women you'll ever meet and spends most of her time helping people through out the community- she's truly a giver. Well, she's adored ROM since the day we moved here. The first few months we lived here ROM spent a lot of time outside trimming back and removing old trees and shrubs. And since it was very warm he often worked without a shirt. I just about died laughing one day when he was out on a ladder (shirtless & just wearing shorts) cutting back some trees, and there was Dryer Sheet Lady taking photos of him. Of course I wasted no time telling all our old friends that ROM was now the pin-up boy of the retirement community. And her infatuation with him hasn't waned over the years. The other night we were out in the yard looking at the holiday lights, making plans for next year. Dryer Sheet Lady walked over and was telling ROM how great his lights looked. Then she noticed he had grown his hair out (he usually wears it cut very short) and that it was curly. She was mesmerized! She went on and on about his hair and then suddenly asked "Can I touch it?" I literally had to pinch my inner arm to keep from laughing out loud- sweet jezzuz, it was so hilarious! ROM stood there speechless with the oddest look on his face as she reached out and petted his hair- I died! Ever so often now, with a serious look on my face I say to ROM "Can I touch it?" and we both start laughing like crazed hyenas. 

I was doing a lot of touching yesterday, but it wasn't ROM's hair- I was touching pretties in some of the wonderful shops on Anna Maria Island.


This chalkboard was set up in front my favorite shop - The Sand Dollar. I love what was written on it... 



Here are some photos I took inside:










 We left the Sand Dollar with a big ol' bag full of wonderful scented candles, a couple gorgeous mermaid figurines, a starfish bowl, and some other pretties. 




We also stopped by Ginny's & Jane E's Bakery Cafe. It's a quirky little place that's a combination kitschy resale shop, internet cafe, bakery and coffee shop. I wanted to buy this outfit for ROM but was afraid it would drive Dryer Sheet Lady over the edge. I thought the collar was a great touch and might have looked good on Isabella-



The bakery is the best part of this shop- their baked goods are some of the best I've ever tasted.

And now I'm going to go stroke ROM's hair... 

6 comments:

  1. You sure know some interesting people. I think ROM should go out in your yard wearing that mannequin get up. I bet dryer sheet lady would want to touch more than his hair. Happy New Year ROH-
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG- now that would be funny. and you can be sure I'd take pictures of that!

      Delete
  2. Hair? nah, it's those sexy legs :)
    The beach, a shop full of fun kitshkies (what I call unusual finds)and homemade baked goods, if I ever locate my perfect mumu I am so there. lol #2013Blessings to you both. xo Baca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get you a mumu,Baca ;) and we'll gorge on cookies while we sit on the beach. Hope 2013 is smashing good year for you!

      Delete
  3. Another great story - I love them! Happy new year to you both!

    ~NoHoHousewife

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks NoHo. Glad you stopped by. Hope your new year is a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!