In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Thursday, December 27, 2012

Goodbye Christmas, Bring On The New Year!

I'm glad this Christmas is over. I just didn't get into like I do most years. I went through the motions and really tried but just wasn't feeling it. I think the unexpected death of a long time friend, the Newtown killings, and a bit of family drama put a damper on the holidays for me. We did our usual holiday stuff like decorating:



Designed my yearly holiday cards and gifts for neighbors (This is an in progress photo of the cards, forgot to take a finished pic after all the beading was done):



I baked, but forgot to take photos. And we had our Christmas Eve seafood feast- again, I forgot to take photos.  Even though we did all usual holiday things, the joy wasn't there this year. Maybe next year.

I also made a lot of luminaries that we set up in the yard each evening through Christmas Eve. Twenty six for the lives lost in Newtown- 


And special one for a dear friend who died suddenly and unexpectedly a week before Christmas. She was a young vibrant woman and such a talented artist. She was a beloved member of a little artist group I belong to and we've all been friends for many years. (I blocked out all the names because of the pesky trolls who love to uncover real life things about peeps and post it on Twitter... I hope Santa shit in their Christmas stockings)... 




But I have thoroughly enjoyed my Christmas cacti. I'm wanting to add some more colors to my collection but I'm running out of room. If I add more, I'll need to start hanging them which will solve my lack of space problem. I can always figure out a way to make room for more plants, dontcha' know?











And now on to New Year's Eve and the start of a new year...

12 comments:

  1. OMG, ROH! I know you suffered some hard blows that dampened this holiday season, but really, you are so talented and your cacti are breathtaking! The Christmas decor and luminaries are so lovely. Did you take those photos with ROM's Rebel camera?

    I know it's not possible to help a person over her grief, but truly you should feel quite blessed as I'm so jealous I really hate you now.

    :-)

    And I'm so glad I found you, too. Thank you so much for sharing, and I hope you feel much better with each day that goes by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dottie, thank you for your kind words. I took those pics with my old trusty Sony. I don't touch ROM's toys-LOL
      You're so right, I am blessed. We don't have a lavish life, but I love the life we have. I'm glad we found each other, too. I so enjoy you and your wit. We're are like two peas in a pod in many ways. Happy New Year, my crazy friend.

      Delete
  2. Amazing photos. The ones of the luminaries put a lump in my throat. Your xmas cactus are beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful New Year and share many more blogs with us, ROH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And a wonderful New Year to you, too.

      Delete
  3. ROH I've never heard you sound so down. You're always Ms. Positive and so upbeat. I noticed you didn't do your usual twit holiday party and cook book. I'm sorry about your friend, sweet lady. I hope the new year finds you back to your usual happy self taking more of your beautiful pictures. Almost forgot to say how much I loved your Christmas card and wish we got to see it finished. Smooches ROH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting back to feeling like my old self. ROM goes back to work tomorrow and I need to get back into my normal routine. First thing I need to do is clean the house- I've been sinfully lazy since ROM has been on vacation.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos. Damn shame about the trolls but I know what you mean. I couldn't believe it when she tweeted that link to your local art club. Told me all I needed to know about that one. Cheer up, old girl. A new year is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad you liked the photos. I'm ready to get into the swing of the new year. Time to get my groove back and get busy. Hope your holidays were lovely.

      Delete
  5. ROH, the greeting card you were beading turned our beautiful. I do recall you mentioned working on them and it seemed to be taking up lots of your time .. now I see why. It's gorgeous.

    Love you, ROH. Sending you tight hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bea- that beading about made me go blind. My camera doesn't take good pics of intricate things like beading. Love you oddles, Bea. You're like a little sister I never had.

      Delete
  6. What beautiful photos! I totally get where you're coming from. The shooting in NewTown was atrocious. My heart was heavy this year too. Here's wishing you a fabulous new year! Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patti! Let's hope this new year is calmer and more peaceful for our country. Hope your holidays were fun and full of joy.

      Delete

Talk To Me!