In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Monday, December 17, 2012

"Our World, Too, Has Been Torn Apart..."

... said President Obama tonight to the people of Newtown Connecticut. For three days many of us across the country have watched in horror as the news unfolded about the tragic slaying of twenty innocent wee children and six women, plus the shooter and his mother. Twenty seven families are forever changed. An entire community is mourning and shattered. And many of us have cried with them as we saw the pain in their faces and grief in their eyes on our TV.

As most of you know, I'm seldom at a loss for words but words seemed so inadequate as the horror of the Newtown slayings has played out in the news. Violence and family mental illness has played a big part in my life, and the Newtown tragedy has brought up so many old issues for me. I don't want to go back and wallow in all those old feelings so before I slid down into a very dark place I ran away to the beach and spent the evening watching the sunset.

It was bittersweet watching this darling little girl playing in the water as the setting sun painted the horizon with vivid colors. I couldn't help but think of the little Newtown children that will never see another sunset or ever play on a beach again. 

















It always amazes me how in matter of minutes the colors of a sunset can change...



As we turned around to walk back to the car I noticed the Christmas tree of lights someone put on the roof of their beach home. It looked wonderful but I hope it didn't give ROM any ideas... 



4 comments:

  1. Hey Amia- can't have ROM climbing around on the roof. Makes me nervous enough when he gets on a ladder to put lights on the tree-LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm way behind on my blog reading because of the holidays. What a treat to find all these new blogs of yours. Love this one, very touching and the sunset photos are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts and for commenting. I know how busy people are now days and I'm always humbled when people take the time to read my yakking

      Delete

Talk To Me!