In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Tuesday, April 23, 2013

An Intervention For ROM, with love and compassion...

Many years ago when ROM and I met we were lean and fit- not an ounce of fat on either of us. I didn't even weight 100 lbs. and ROM was only about 145 lbs. Now, almost 30 years later, we're  each a good 40 lbs. heavier, thanks to Walter and Bertha. And of course as my weight has gone up so has my clothing size. Oddly enough, though ROM's pant size has gone up, he has continued to buy the same size tee shirts.

For some reason ROM could tell he needed larger waist pants, but was oblivious when it came to his shirt size. I had tried in recent years to give him a subtle nudge to buy larger tee shirts, but was met with resistance and denial. While looking at clothes, I'd pull out a larger size and suggest he try it on and he'd put it back on the rack, pull out a smaller size and act amazed that after all the years we'd been married that I still didn't know his size.  I let this shit slide and went along with his delusion, convinced that eventually he'd give it up and face reality. It didn't happen-

This spring when it was time to buy new summer clothes, I decided it was time I did an intervention. Lord knows I'd want him to do it for me if I was still trying to squeeze into tube tops and midriff tees. Sooo... a few weeks ago when he was looking at tees in his favorite catalog I gently suggested he order size large. Did he take the hint and quietly order the larger size?  Oh hell no, he launched right into his usual insistence that he wore mediums. With much tact and compassion I explained that he had matured and a larger sized shirt might look better. I screamed, "Sweet jezzuz, stop it! You wore a medium when you weighed 145 lbs. You don't weigh 145 now! You're stuffing 185 lbs into a 145 lb. sized shirt! Order the god damn large!"

I'm happy to say the intervention worked and my ROM looks quite handsome in his new tee shirts.

16 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard at this I woke my husband up. I can relate to this with my own old man. Where we agonize over every pound, they just bop along happily thinking they look they did when they were 25. I'd love to be that oblivious to my own weight. I envy their denial. Thanks for the laugh. You're a funny lady. - Ann, from the #jodiarias twitter group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann. Men do seem to have more self esteem when it comes to body image, don't they?

      Delete
  2. In the choice between changing one's [ROM's] mind and proving there's no need to do so, most get busy on the proof.--John Kenneth Galbraith
    SMH ROH, you have now totally set up Dryer Sheet Lady ;o
    Baca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's true, dryer sheet lady always wants to touch it regardless of how his shirts fit.

      Delete
  3. Okay you convinced me to buy some larger clothes. The fact my jeans have gotten so tight they are cutting off circulation helped convince me too. You're TFF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor real old man. I thought he looked damn good in the photo of him in his xmas underwear. I think you also posted a photo of him on the beach and he looked good in that too. I think you two are too hard on yourselves because from the glimpses I've seen you both look great for people in their sixties. You must have been skinny and underweight when you crazy kids met.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Debbie, he looks great. And even better in a larger shirt-LOL And it's true we were both under weight.

      Delete
  5. LMAO!!!! This must be a universal shortcoming with men. I just bought mine a larger size for his birthday next week. Will be interesting to see his reaction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL! That's what I should have done, Bobbi- just ordered the larger shirts and not said a thing

      Delete
  6. you are a woman of experience. 30 years ago you would have tried tact. 30 years later you realized how futile that would have been. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Bobbi!! You have to let us know Mr. Bobbi's reaction!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have a website where we can see all your artwork? I adore your little sculpture of the little naked lady with the big hat and the painting at the top of the page is wonderful. I would love to see more of your work. I looked for an email address to contact you privately but couldn't find one listed anywhere on your blog.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, for your kind words. I've thought about a website for my work but haven't gotten around to it.

      Delete
    2. A website for your artwork would be incredible, ROH!!

      Delete

Talk To Me!