In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Wednesday, June 5, 2013

2013 Summer Sailstice ( I Was Jimmy Buffett's Winter Sailing Lover)

ROM and I had a bucket list of things we wanted to do when we moved to SW Florida. We've done some of the things on our list like parsailing. If you ever get a chance to parasail, do it! It was amazing and not the least bit scary. One thing on our list that we haven't done is go sailing. Neither of us have ever stepped foot on a sail boat but I had many fantasies about it during the long cold snowy Illinois winters.  In the dead of winter when snow was ass deep and it was snot freezing cold, I'd close the drapes, enjoy a margarita, put some Jimmy Buffett music on and crawl into my tanning bed. Jimmy would whisk me away to warm exotic places- where we sailed over turquoise waters with bright blue skies and a warm yellow sun above us. Jimmy, margaritas, my tanning bed and a vivid imagination got me through the long winters and kept my seasonal depression at bay. I'm now much too old and lazy to learn how to sail, but there are chartered sailing trips that sound like a lot of fun. We need to move this up on our bucket list and do it. 

I recently received an email about an event I had never heard of before- Summer Sailstice. A blurb from their website explains this annual event:

"Summer Sailstice is the global sailing holiday celebrated on the weekend closest to the summer solstice. This international event was founded in 2001 to connect the global sailing community in a fun, creative, multifaceted, multi-location sailing holiday.  Every year, Summer Sailstice connects over 19,000 sailors all over the world—cruisers, racers and recreational—to celebrate and showcase life under sail.  It has expanded to include participants from Asia, across the Americas and Europe."

Doesn't this sound like a wonderful weekend?  I love that it's a world event. We need more things like this to unite people across the world instead of dividing us the way war does.

Though we won't be sailing, I'm hoping to watch the boats leave and get some great photos. If you want to know more about Summer Sailstice please visit their website. And if you want to participate or just watch the boats, you can look for an event near you on their map of events.

One more thing I have to mention is how much I love the art on their Summer Sailstice poster! The art was created by Brad Reynolds and the poster itself by Michael Brown at the Pirates Lair company.


And I will leave you with this video of Ray Charles singing the Beach Boys "Sail On, Sail On, Sailor"

12 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this sailing event. I haven't been on a sailboat since my college days. Look forward to seeing photos you take. Yes, you and ROM should get out on a charter. I think you'd love it. I just saw on the news that your area is getting hit by a tropical storm. Hope everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- we had no problem with TS Andrea. Just lots of rain and a bit of wind. She moved thru quickly and today the sun is out.

      Delete
  2. I lost my virginity on a sailboat. Your blog brought back some great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing your virginity on a sailboat sounds a lot more romantic than in the back seat of a car-LOL

      Delete
  3. Could you turn off the word verification thing? I have an awful time with that- so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the verification off originally but got bombarded with spam comments. I'll turn it off and see how it goes.

      Delete
  4. The weekend sounds fantastic, and I can't wait to see your pictures! Used to go sailing with a girlfriend and her Dad when I was a kid on Lake Zoar in Southbury, CT. As a kid, I must admit, I preferred when he took the motorboaat out. Think I'd probably prefer the sailboat now!

    But, you got me with Ray. One of my all time favorites. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bobbi- I think we all love Ray. How fun that you sailed as kid. I've been in many a motor boat but never a sailboat. I can see how a kid would prefer a motor boat.

      Delete
  5. What a cool event! I checked the map and there is a group doing it in my area. Hope I can see the boats going out. Thanks for this info.
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! If you go, I hope you get some photos

      Delete
  6. What a great way to treat your winter blues. Margaritas, Jimmy Buffet music and a tanning bed sounds like a lot more fun than taking antidepressants. I hope we get to see a photo of you someday on a sailboat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked for me-LOL Of course now they are saying tanning beds are bad for you and cause skin cancer. I spent a lot of time in mine when we lived in the midwest and no skin cancer yet ;)

      Delete

Talk To Me!