In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Simple Sunday- Island Style

Though the beaches are the best thing about Anna Maria Island, there are also a lot of other fun things to do. We spent Sunday just driving around, shopping, people watching and strolling about. Anna Maria Island is a mere seven miles long and has three small towns- Bradenton Beach, Holmes Beach and Anna Maria.  

We walked down Bridge Street on Bradenton Beach...

The first bridge from the mainland to the island connected to the historic Bridge Street, though the current bridge now connects to Gulf Avenue several blocks north of Bridge Street.


*Note- to see photos full size right click, then click open in new window*







After browsing through the shops on Bridge Street we drove to the northern end of the island to visit some of our favorite shops in the city of Anna Maria. Our first stop was at Ginny’s & Jane E’s which is a combination cafe, bakery and shop. They have some original art by local artists and lots of interesting resale items, a great little cafe and amazing baked goods. They have some of the best cookies I've ever tasted from a bakery. We always bring home a bag cookies for ourselves plus a few peanut butter and molasses cookies for the dogs.





Another favorite shop of ours is the Sand Dollar which is also located in the city of Anna Maria.



So many pretty items with a beachy theme...





I didn't notice the woman in this photo when I took it. But when I was editing the photos after we got home I had to do a double take because she looked so much like my mom a few years before she died.





Before we headed home at the end of the day we stopped at the Anna Maria City Pier to take some photos. Anna Maria City Pier was first built in 1911. Though the buildings built on it have long ago disappeared, the pier has been repaired and rebuilt several times after being damaged by numerous tropical storms over the years.  The restaurant and bait shop on the pier has changed hands many times, but have long been a favorite of locals and visitors alike. The first time I was on the island was when I came down to visit my mom and we ate at the pier restaurant. Their grouper sandwiches were her absolute favorite. Her ashes were spread several miles out from Anna Maria Pier.




And that's how we spent our Sunday. We have a simple life, but damn, I love it!

7 comments:

  1. I love that you share your photos with us and include links to information about the places you visit. Your blogs are one of the highlights of my day. Didn't you mention some time ago that you were going to start a blog for your art work? Can we please have the link to it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy the photos. Some one suggested I set up a blog for my artwork but I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Some day ;)

      Delete
  2. I've been to Anna Maria Island several times and your blog is like getting to visit again. Beautiful photos-
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS- I love your header image. Did you paint that?
      Jane

      Delete
    2. Sadly, development and tourism has changed Anna Maria Island in the past 20 years, I'm hoping it hangs on to a bit of it's old Florida charm.

      Yes, I created the header- it's symbolic of everything we love most- each other, our dogs and the beach!

      Delete
  3. Very nice photos. You have a great eye for setting up your photos. I'm going to nag you again to put watermarks on your work. Trust me, if it hasn't happened already your photos are going to be stolen and marketed by some unscrupulous person. Protect your work, please-
    A fellow photographer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops- I forgot all about the watermarking! Thank you for your kind words and reminder to protect my work. I'll make myself a note to remind me to put something on my photos.

      Delete

Talk To Me!