In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Giant Threatening Peckers and Tropical Storm Dorian

Yesterday we loaded the dogs up and took them for their yearly vet checkup and shots. It was late in the afternoon and we were the only ones in the waiting room. Isabella was her usual cowardly self cowering between my legs but Emmy was hyped up and wanting to sniff and explore everything. ROM made her sit on his lap and thank gawd he did. As we sat there waiting the door flew open and some guy came in with the biggest pit bull I've ever seen. He had the dog by the collar while dragging an attached 20 foot tie out chain. And of course the big bruiser immediately fixed his eyes on Isabella and started with a low rumbling growl. For some reason she's like a magnet for aggressive dogs, as if they sense her timidness. She has been chased and attacked at the dog park, and even attacked by a neighbor dog as we walked down the street while she was on lead. I ended up with torn knees, ripped clothes and a broken finger, thank gawd Bella wasn't hurt. But back to yesterday and the monster dog... 

As soon as the dog saw Isabella he started struggling with his owner and began to slip out of his collar. Bella, sensing things may be going bad, pressed herself back as far as she could between my legs shoving the chair against the wall. Even Emmy was taken aback for once- she's usually ready to tangle with anything regardless of size. I was so glad she kept quiet, stayed on ROM's lap and didn't challenge this big ass dog. As the dog struggled to get it's head out of the collar, the owner bellowed something in Spanish, grabbed the dog by the neck and gave it a stern shake and pulled the collar back down around his neck. He continued to bellow at the dog in Spanish and the dog settled down but never took his eyes of Bella. As the guy firmly held the dog he told the receptionist he didn't have an appointment but wanted something to repel mosquitoes. As she nervously asked the guy to tighten the dog's collar, she went on to tell him they didn't have any products to repel mosquitoes and to try Petsmart. I sat there keeping an eye on the aggressive dog, while I held on to Bella's collar and tried to keep her from crawling through the wall behind us.  Then suddenly, never taking his eyes off   Isabella... the bruiser's nasty red pecker suddenly poked out- ewwwww! I didn't know if he wanted to breed her, kill her or both.  Of course she's spayed but that didn't seem to matter at all to this big brute. By the time the guy dragged the dog back out the door I thought both Isabella and I were going to need to be sedated. Now I'm not one to think all pit bulls are bad and should be banned, but this particular pit scared the bejezzuz out of me!  The guy is obviously an irresponsible pet owner to not even have an appropriate leash and collar on the dog. It's owners like this guy that give pits such a bad name. 

I can't tell you how relieved I was when the scary dog left, and the rest of the visit was a breeze. After escaping possible rape and carnage, Bella surprisingly settled down and got through her exam, shots and blood taking without a whimper. And the snake-killing-tough-as-nails Emmy? She cried like a baby when she got her shots and spent the entire evening in her bed acting like she was dying. We left the vet's office over $700 poorer with a year's supply of flea/heart worm prevention and a new script for Bella's drug of choice- generic Xanax. I thought it was hilarious that Walgreen attached a warning to not mix her Xanax with alcohol or to drive after taking it. .




And she just may need that bottle of Xanax. Hurricane season is from June 1st and Nov. 30th. During hurricane season I always start my day off by checking the NOAA website to see if anything is brewing in the Atlantic or Gulf. This morning I saw that there is a new named storm churning it's way west across the Atlantic. The yellow circle doesn't concern me because it's so far north, but we'll have to watch Tropical Storm Dorian to see where he decides to go. Isabella has never gone through a hurricane.  If Dorian comes to visit I bet she'll want martinis with her Xanax and I'll have to remind her of the warning not to mix the two. 





9 comments:

  1. I know it was a scary situation but I was laughing so hard because of your description of how it all happened. I can't help it because your so damn funny- threatening peckers- ha ha! I'm glad there wasn't an incident and Isabella didn't get raped. I hope the hurricanes stay far away from you and ROM this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank goodness Bella came home with her virginity intact and none of our throats were ripped out.

      Delete
  2. I know that had to be scary for all but poor little Bella and that's hilarious about the warning on the Xanax I'm happy all ended well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. Yes, I'll have to keep an eye on Bella so she doesn't mix her xanax with alcohol- LOL

      Delete
  3. Poor Isabella. I'm so glad you are all okay.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just reinforced poor neurotic Bella's belief that the world is indeed a dangerous place once she leaves her own yard. We were all glad to get home that day ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I feel you, ROH. I'd have fought a pack of wild dogs for my poodle. I did go head to head with a doberman that chased my 17 yr. old cat up a pine tree in OUR OWN YARD once. Needless to say the doberman left my property trembling with his tail between his legs and his owner stomping off like WE did something wrong. She was walking him without a leash when he saw my deaf old cat and went for her. I heard screaming and came tearing out the door to see my old cat running for her life within inches of that sleek, agile doberman's bared teeth. I never laid a finger on that dog, who soon froze in his tracks as he'd never been chased down and yelled at by a wild woman, turned out. I felt bad for him by then, but...old cat 30 ft. up a pine in mid-winter rain I had to get down. Sheesh. Some people lose all common sense with their pets, unfortunately. Especially me. lol So glad you didn't have to take the pit bull down yourself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You taught that dog a lesson, didn't you? LOL! Yes, we get very protective of our beloved pets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why did the crazy Pit owner feel compelled to bring the dog into the waiting room to ASK about mosquito repellant? Idiot! Somebody oughta tell that fella about telephones. I've had experience with dog attacks because people are too stupid to contain and control their pets. I have to tell you again what a blessing you were for telling me about Xanax for dogs. It was such a better alternative to that other horrible crap. Acep or whatever, it should be banned. Bella is so beautiful, glad to hear both dogs are doing well. xo Tuz

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!