In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Saturday, August 3, 2013

Invasion of Seaweed, Fighting Crows and Twerking on the Beach...

Yesterday was beautiful so ROM sneaked out of work early and we headed to the beach. I couldn't believe all the seaweed on the beach and in the water. The recent storms that have come in from the Gulf have washed in huge mats of seaweed






It was low tide and there were piles of shells the storms have also washed ashore.





I love finding shells that are so old they've fused together...


Early this spring I started seeing one lone crow hanging out with the seagulls. It was the first time I had seen a crow on the beach in all the years we've lived here. Yesterday there were three of them that swooped in under an umbrella fighting for any crumbs they could find before the people returned to their chairs.




This snowy egret and ibis wisely avoided humans handouts and junk food, choosing to hunt for fresh food along the shore line...



The ibis scored a tasty morsel...


I loved watching this royal tern and her fledgling...

Mama tern was clearly tired of this big baby following her around and begging.

She would walk a few steps away but the fledgling would follow right behind her squawking and begging to be fed.


The fledgling tried putting on his cutest begging face and dancing around...


Even begged with his bill open, hoping mama would drop something in....

Mama stayed strong and refused to give in to her little beggar no matter how much he danced around, squawked and begged.

I, on the other hand, scored big when I danced for ROM. As we were cooling off in the water I bent over, put my hands on my knees and started jiggling my ass at him as I announced "I'm twerking, baby!" And then I went on to sing a few lines of my favorite song of the summer with a bit of tweaking of the lyrics: "But I'm a good girl, The way you grab me, Must wanna get nasty, Go ahead get at me" He fell down in the water laughing and then asked me what twerking meant. I swear, that man wouldn't know any slang terms used after the year 2000 if it wasn't for me! He didn't "get at me" on the beach but he did buy me an ice cream cone on the way home.

8 comments:

  1. I should know by now not to read your blog late at night when my room mate is sleeping. I was quietly reading and enjoying the photos until I got to the part about you twerking and ROM falling down- TFF! I was laughing so hard I woke my room mate up and she had to see what was so funny. I sure hope I have as much fun as you do when I get as old as you. All the old people I know are so grumpy and always bitching about the younger generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Life is way too short to spend it being grumpy and argumentative, I want to leave this world twerking and laughing ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh ROH you crack me up lol

    Justme411

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend sent me the link to your blog and I've spent the past 4 hours here reading. This blog has to be the best kept secret in the blogosphere. I love the way you write. For example this post you have these lovely photos with sweet captions and then you suddenly mention twerking your husband and lyrics from Blurred Lines. Please keep writing and tell more of your older life stories. The one about the ducks was so funny. I could actually visualize you out there with your hose driving the male ducks away. Thank you for an entertaining morning- Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. My jaw is on the floor. I'm in shock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the best, ROH! LMAO!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!