In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Friday, October 4, 2013

Time Flies When You Eat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies For Breakfast-

Good lord, how did it get to be October already? Seriously, October? I've just gotten used to writing 2013 on things and now the year is almost over? I guess now that I'm bitching about how fast time flies by, I'm officially an old lady. I remember hearing old people talk about how fast time went by when you're older and I thought they were dotty. Time is time, and it passes the same for anyone regardless of their age.  I mean come on, 60 minutes or 30 days is the same length of time whether your 24 or 74. I just wrote it off as one of those crazy things old people say. But I have to admit, now that I'm older I know exactly what they were talking about. Time does seem to pass quicker when you're old. A while back I ran across an article somewhere that said there is even a scientific reason for that perception, though I can't remember exactly what that reason is- duh- what do you expect? I'm old and my memory is shot. But it does have something to do with memory... something about having so many memories already in our brains that everything is processed quicker and makes it seem like time is happening faster. Or something like that.  Oh well, if you're old you know what I'm talking about, and if you're young you'll find out soon enough. 

I'm so bummed we weren't able to swim most of the month of September due to ROM's surgery to have an infected cyst removed from his back. Damn thing swelled up so suddenly and was so big a surgeon had to remove it. And it was nasty! The surgeon left it open to drain and guess who got the job of cleaning and bandaging it daily? I'm a horrible nurse and have been known to faint just from having blood drawn.  I won't gross you out with all the gory details, I'll just say I did some serious gagging. Anyway, due to a flesh eating bacteria that has recently shown up in Gulf waters, anyone with an open wound is warned to stay out of the water. Though ROM had his surgery a month ago, the incision is just now closing, so no swimming for us. And soon the water will be too chilly for swimming- I'm a wuss and won't get in water below 80 degrees. Oh well, we can still go out beach combing and to watch the sunsets. 

Instead of bemoaning the fact that it's already October, I decided on the spur of the moment to make chocolate chip pumpkin cookies. So here it is almost 1 a.m. and I just took the last batch of cookies out of the oven. Though it's still hot in SW FL. and the air conditioner is running, the aroma of pumpkin, cinnamon and cloves drifting through the house makes it smell like autumn. And ROM is going to love waking up to fresh baked cookies for breakfast. Yes, we sometimes have cookies and cake for breakfast and have even been known to have dessert before dinner. We're old, you can break the rules and do shit like that when you're old. Maybe that's why time seems to pass more quickly when you're old- what's that saying? "Time flies when you're having fun". Regardless of all the bitching we seniors do, there are a lot of fun perks to getting older. We become rebels and eat cookies for breakfast. 

Here's the recipe for cookies- 


Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies

Ingredients:

  1-15 ounce can  pumpkin
2- Large eggs
¾ cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ginger
4 cups  all-purpose  flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1- 12 ounce package  chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven 375.
  1. Mix pumpkin, eggs, oil, sugar and spices together.
  2. In another bowl mix flour and leavenings. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix.
  3. Fold in Chocolate chips and nuts.
  4. Drop spoonfuls on well-greased baking sheet. Bake 11 min. until browned. 
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This recipe looks yummy. I'm going to have to try it out this weekend. ROH, you make getting old sound like fun, unlike my co-worker. She's in her late 50s and constantly bitches about being older. I have a feeling she was probably just as miserable when she was young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Choc Chip Pumpkin Cookies? Interesting. Do you have to grate the cloves?
    Amia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm Thanks for the recipe. If you like pumpkin spice latte, I just tried this recipe and it was very good, no chemical crappy artificial taste. I used soy milk, dairy and I don't agree. http://greatideas.people.com/2013/09/30/pump-up-your-coffee-light-pumpkin-spice-latte/ xoxo TUZ

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!