In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Senior Citizen Discounts? Oh Hell No!!!

Some one at work recently told ROM he should start asking for the senior citizen discount when we shop and eat out. When my reaction was less than enthusiastic he pointed out that if we went to N.Y.C. we could save $5,000 on the Presidential Suite at the Waldorf Astoria. He didn't notice the eye roll I gave him as I agreed we should keep that in mind for the next time we fly to NYC for a fun get away weekend. I went on to inform him I didn't work hard to not look my age just so I could go out in public and announce how old I was to save a couple bucks on dinner. I ended the discussion by saying I might as well let my hair go grey, stop plucking my chin, grow skin tags, wear support hose with orthopedic shoes and strap on a fanny pack.  And I thought that was the end of the nonsense talk about senior discounts.


So imagine my surprise when we ate out a few evenings later and he asked the waitress about the god damn senior discount. I merely smiled and said, "Dad, I'm so glad you have gotten over being sensitive about your age and you're now taking advantage of the perks of getting old." Then I turned to the waitress and said "Though it will be years before I'm eligible, please give my father the senior discount."  Then I casually and a bit loudly said "Dad, let's not forget to stop and pick up your prostate meds before I take you back to the assisted living center." That was the first and last time he's  asked for a senior discount.

4 comments:

  1. Perfect response, ROH. You're TFF! I have to show this to my friend. Her husband has been trying to get her to use senior citizen discounts and she refuses to do it. She needs to pull this on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've now heard the last of the senior citizen discount-LOL

      Delete
  2. LOL poor guy.... trying to save a buck so he can keep you in the life style you have become accustomed to. lmaooo. Love it. Always love your stories. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! He needs to find another way to save money other than announcing in public that we're freaking old!

      Delete

Talk To Me!