In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I'm An Empty Nester...

You would have thought I'd learned my lesson to not mess with wildlife after my summer with the ducks (you can read the duck story here).  The sight of dead newborn bunnies and tore up nest sucked me in a few weeks ago. When I discovered there was one wee bunny that survived the attack by the feral cats I was hooked. So for several weeks I patrolled the yard day and night, looking for any cats lurking about and obsessively peeking into the nest to make sure the bunny was safe and sound. Mama bunny visited several times a day to nurse him but the rest of the time he was all by himself in the tiny hole. 

I staked out the nest so the mowers wouldn't drive over it and kill the wee baby bunny...


When the torrential rain began the other day, I suggested to ROM that we rent one of those canopy type tents to put over the nest. He said it would look like we were having a tent revival and the old people would start showing up with their Bibles. We compromised and put an old chair over the rabbit hole.  

When I checked the nest last night I discovered that our little bunny had left the hole and ventured out into the world.  

I'm sure he left because it was time and he had outgrown the nest. Nothing was disturbed or tore up like it would have been if the cats had returned to continue their murderous raid. At least that's what I'm choosing to believe. And now I'm an empty nester... life goes on...


2 comments:

  1. I hope he's off having fun! Enjoyed this post! :)

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROM and I have seen him several times this week hanging around his old nest area. I'm going to assume it is him as that's what I want to believe-LOL

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!