In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Friday, May 16, 2014

A Day On The Lanai With ROH & The Girls

Yesterday I chatted on Twitter with a woman who lost a sister to a drug overdose. After we spent some time commiserating over how awful it is to lose a loved one to drugs, we decided we needed to work harder at bringing some joy back into our lives. We made a pact to spend time every day finding at least one joyous thing to celebrate. I'm a simple gal, so I find my joy in simple things like my husband, my dogs, nature (BEACH!), my plants and my lanai. So today I spent the afternoon tending to my plants both inside and outside the lanai. 

Of course a day on the lanai is number 1 on the list of things the dogs enjoy. Isabella was showing off her cool and casual new summer hair-do. She must have been feeling really good about how she looks today because she posed like a cover girl for photos.




And Emmy? Oh hell no! She can't be bothered with such girly things like posing for photos. There were geckos to hunt and dragons to slay. I'd call her to me and as soon as I started to raise the camera to take her pic, she'd whirl around and race back to her guard post worried that a little anole may have snuck into her lanai. So I got a lot of photos of her ass. (While Bella continued to pose)




After cleaning my plants they looked pretty good. We had a mild winter this season, unlike the past few winters, and they came thru it with no damage. Can you spot the hidden treasures among the plants? 
 A mermaid


 A Yellow Gecko


A Seahorse




I bought this ponytail palm plant Dec. 1st and it has really grown. I have several out in the rock garden that are taller than me, hopefully this one will stay small and grow slowly in a container. But if it doesn't, it will move outside with the other plants that have outgrown the lanai.
Now

December

And this, my friends, is my dose of joy for the day. Life is good... now go find your moment of joy! 

12 comments:

  1. I love the pics! Gorgeous Isabella, she looks so regal. So glad you found some joy. :-)
    It gets less difficult with time, ROH.
    Big ole bear hugs ♥
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie. You're so right- that old saying time heals is true. Some things take longer than others to heal but eventually it gets easier. I'm hanging on to that knowledge.

      Delete
  2. I've been a loyal reader of your blog for several years now but I've never left a comment. I loved seeing this blog and hope this is the beginning of better times for you. You've been in my prayers. Isabella is as beautiful as ever. Now if that little rascal Emmy would sit still long enough for you to get a photo of her hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving a comment. I'm like you, I read many blogs but seldom leave comments which is bad of me. I need to slow down and take the time to let people know that I enjoy their blogs. I wish more bloggers allowed anonymous comments rather than having to use an ID and sign in. I grow weary of sign ins for everything on the web.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to see your entire lanai. I bet it is like a tropical hideaway. Love your photos, ROH. Bella is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lanai is long and narrow which makes it hard to get in one photo. Maybe one day I'll do a short video of the lanai.

      Delete
  4. I love you, Roh. Your strength and spirit are such an inspiration. I wish you were my momma. I want to be you when I grow up (which I should have done a long time ago)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And don't ever grow up- I tried it and it isn't all that much fun.

      Delete
  5. Aww Bella!! She is posing like a pro- dang girl! And Emmy's ass is as nice as an ass can be <3
    I'm glad you're finding beautiful things to surround yourself & fill your life. I swear, you take the best pictures, ROH (oh & i found all the objects, had to in order to prove to myself i'm not senile)
    Love you lady!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. Emmy may not have a donkey booty but it's trim and firm-LOL Isn't it a great feeling to realize you aren't senile? I show signs of it occasionally but I'm fighting a full plunge into it.

      Delete
  6. Your joy made my day! I'm so happy to see you out enjoying life - you deserve it! Bella is so smart - she knows she's a cover girl!

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! I swear Isabella could use RHONY Kristen Taekman's tag line- not the sharpest tool but sure pretty. Fo example, I'll give each of the dogs something yummy to eat on a paper plate. Bella will chase her's all over as it scoots across the floor as she eats. Clever Emmy places a foot on hers so it won't scoot. Bella can't quite grasp that concept-LOL!

      Delete

Talk To Me!