In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Monday, July 7, 2014

Letters, Free Lunch and Cremation..

A few of my Twitter friends and I were recently chatting about the lost art of letter writing. Before email, texting and unlimited cell phone plans, sending hand written letters through the mail was how we communicated. Long distance phone calls were expensive so we only called people on special occasions, holidays and in emergencies. Every few weeks, I'd sit down and write long letters with all my news and recent happenings. Of course now that we have email, news is shared instantly and long chatty letters are a thing of the past. But I still prefer writing over talking on the phone. I seldom actually use my phone to call anyone and use it mostly for Twitter. 

Now instead of finding letters from friends in my mailbox...

... I find bills and ads. Even the ads we get now have changed from the kind we used to get. Most of the ads that show up in our mailbox are geared toward seniors for things like scooters for the disabled, companies who remodel bathrooms for the old and frail, incontinence products, reverse mortgages, and prepaid burial plans. This arrived in our mailbox yesterday-
  
I can't think of a more miserable way to spend an afternoon than eating lunch with a bunch of old coots discussing our impending cremations. I'm all for being responsible and preplanning the disposal of one's body, but I sure as hell don't want to spend an afternoon discussing it over a free lunch. 

Until the day I take the big ride down the chute to the great cremation oven, I'll spend my free time with my toes in the sand as seagulls fly overhead and the Gulf waves lap against the shoreline. That beats a free lunch any day...

6 comments:

  1. LOL It is sad how we're so easily targeted for being old coots with money some company wants to snare. I'm sure Google, Facebook, & Twitter have nothing to do with that. At. All.

    On the other hand, I got PROFILED by a nice looking, country-club looking man in his 40's one Sunday afternoon--AT BARNES & NOBLE! I should blog about that, because I can't quit obsessing over how we're targets because of our age. Pfft! I may get me some pepper spray--and use it!

    You're right about that sand between your toes. Nice pedicure, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Sounds like it was a great afternoon at Barnes & Noble. Dd he invite you to lunch to discuss your future cremation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ROH! I hope you and ROM are doing well, it's been a long time since you've posted a blog. I also hope Isabella & Emmy are doing well too. Happy Halloween a little early!

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been missing ROH, too, Linda. She's never gone this long without blogging and I'm a bit worried about her.

      Delete
    2. Thank you both for your concern and sorry if I worried you. I'm okay but had a horrible summer and have been in a bit of a funk. I've been waiting for something fun and interesting to write about but it just hasn't happened. I've always believed that time healed all wounds but now wondering if that's really true.

      Delete
  4. My heart breaks for you, a parent should never lose a child. I always thought time healed all wounds too, but something so heartbreaking like this can't be compared to that. Take all the time you need, I'm not going anywhere. Take care and I can't wait to read your new post! :)

    ~Linda

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!