In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Friday, September 25, 2015

History According ROM And Me (Or shit old people say)-


"Remember when Khrushchev said he was going to dig our graves with his shoe because he couldn't get into Disneyland? No, I think Khrushchev beat Mickey Mouse with his shoe when they wouldn't let him in Disneyland. And he said he was going to bury Minnie's grand kids which led to the Cuban missile crisis". 


This, boys and girls, is the kind of conversation you might hear between ROM and I as we watch Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.  It all started with a question about Shirley Temple, something about sitting in someone's lap. One of the possible answers was Nikita Khrushchev. We both agreed no one would want to sit on Khrushchev's lap... and from there it all went down hill...

Me: Didn't Khrushchev give a ranting speech about burying our grand kids?

ROM: No, he said he'd bury "us", not our grand kids.

Me: Hmmmm... I thought he said our grand kids. But whatever, I wonder what he was so irate about? I can't remember. 

ROM: I think it was because they wouldn't let him into Disneyland. 

Me: (doubled over laughing) OMG! You're freaking crazy! Khrushchev didn't go to Disney World!

ROM: He wanted to but they wouldn't let him in, which is what pissed him off and then he beat on something with his shoe. And it was Disneyland, Disney World didn't even exist then (which he said in a sneering I-know-it-all kinda way).

Me: (in my own sneering know-it-all way) And I suppose beating up Mickey with his shoe and telling Minnie he was going to bury her grand kids led up to the Cuban Missile Crisis? 

ROM: He did not say he was going to bury anyone's grand kids! He said he would bury us. And I don't think he was trying to break into Disneyland during the Cuban Missile Crisis... (again that sneering tone). The Disney event and the Cuban Missile Crisis had nothing to do with each other- that's crazy! 

Me: STFU! I was being sarcastic!  Well, I'm Googling this shit because I think you've gone senile on me! I'm hiding the plungers (a whole 'nother story)

So I Googled all this nonsense and discovered we were both a tad off. I found that there was a man named Nikita Khrushchev. He did not say he would bury our grand children because he couldn't get into Disneyland. While addressing Western ambassadors at a reception at the Polish embassy in Moscow he said "Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will dig you in"- this according to Wikipedia.

Khrushchev didn't beat Mickey with his shoe. According to Wikipedia what happened was "Some sources claim Khrushchev pounded his shoe on his delegate-desk in protest of a speech by Philippine delegate Lorenzo Sumulong. Others argue Khrushchev was responding to the British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan". 

As for Disneyland? According to Snopes, it's true Khrushchev was told he could not go to Disneyland due to security concerns. Oh- and Shirley Temple never sat on his lap. 

I think it's safe to assume that neither ROM or I will ever be appearing on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.


6 comments:

  1. This is classic old people discussion. Hubs and I do this a few times a week. Old Krushchev--ah, the memories: Cuban Missile Crisis, tantrums, spies, and the Cold War. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now we've come full circle and are bickering with Russia again-LOL

      Delete
  2. I love your blogs! You always make me laugh. Now I have an image stuck in my head of Krushchev giving Micky a beat down with his shoe. You and your husband are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are so funny!

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!