In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Tutorial Tuesday - Part 3

If you're following this tutorial, I'm sorry I didn't get part three posted last Tuesday. When we ended part two, we were applying the Apoxie Sculpt. After letting it harden over night, it's now time to bulk out the head.

This isn't a full sculpt, so we won't be sculpting arms, a body and legs, which is why this is an easy simple sculpture for a beginner. The only area on this heron that needs bulked up is the head and we will do that with aluminum foil. The reason for this is so we can use less clay and it will dry faster and more thoroughly. 

On this particular sculpt I don't need a lot of bulk for the head, so I used 4" strips of foil, folded the strips in half so that they were 2" wide and wound each strip of foil tightly over the area I wanted bulked up, adding more strips where the head of a heron is the widest. As you add the foil strips, do it tightly and go back over the area with your hands firmly pressing it into the armature. 






Once you're done adding the foil, cover the foil area and neck with one layer of masking tape. Be sure to wrap the tape tightly then go back over it with your fingers while smoothing and pressing the tape firmly to the armature. 



Next week we will apply a layer of plaster wrap. You can get it in the clay section at Michael's and it looks like this-

If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments and I'll do my best to answer them. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving these tutorials. I'll never sculpt anything but it's so interesting to see the process you go through with your amazing creations. I don't have a creative bone in my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!