In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Monday, December 14, 2015

I Hate You, December...

 My once favorite month has become my most dreaded month of the year. It's become 31 days of gut wrenching memories, regrets and unresolved issues. Last week was the second anniversary of my son's death and this week is his birthday. It hasn't gotten easier with the passing of time. If anything, it's gotten harder. December brings so much anxiety that often I can barely breath, other days I'm paralyzed with inertia and numb. Hours can go by as I sit at my desk looking out the window, unaware of the time passing until ROM pulls in the driveway.  Late at night I turn on NetFlix and watch hours of episodes of the old series House. For a while I'm able to get caught up in the dysfunctional world of Dr. Greg House and the bizarre medical cases. 


I try not to watch real time TV because of the Christmas commercials. In my memory banks, my son's birthday is forever entwined with Christmas. Memories of him being born and coming home from the hospital for his first Christmas. How Santa always made an appearance at his birthday parties until he stopped believing. Hearing people talk about Christmas and their kids coming home is a reminder that my son is dead, and all the things I wish I had done differently. 

And then there's my birthday. He was born 12 minutes before my birthday, so of course that memory will forever be part of that day. December is a month of one frigging trigger after another. A month of white knuckling it from one moment to the next. My emotions and memories even take over my sleep with vivid dreams of my son. There is no escape... except with art. 

I spent several days totally immersed in creating my holiday card. I painted it four times before I got it the way I wanted it. (I still struggle with watercolor, but love it too much to give up.) Then the hassle of setting it up to print out on watercolor cards, getting the margins right and everything centered gave me a welcome distraction. 


They've now been printed and mailed, and I'm back to my brooding. But the month is almost half over, I can do this. There are 5 more seasons of House to fill my nights. Maybe I'll even motivate myself enough to make some fudge and cookies. Lord knows, ROM loves his holiday sweets. 

I apologize for this totally self centered, self absorbed and self indulged blog entry. For some reason I can write out the thoughts and feelings that I can't say out loud without dissolving in a puddle of ugly crying. I know it's a total downer but that's the price you have to pay for my funny stories. 

I hate you, December, but I'll survive you. 









7 comments:

  1. Sending you lots of love and hugs. I wish there were something concrete I could do to help. Just know you're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please know that many people, including me, are here for you. Please stay connected on Twitter. I will visit everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you dare apologize. I think I'd have to be hospitalized and sedated every December if I was in your shoes. I can't even imagine how difficult this month must be for you. I know you don't believe in prayer but I do and I'm going to be praying for you every day of Dec.

    Your holiday card is beautiful. Keep painting and sculpting to help you through this month.
    Your art friend,
    Sue (I'll be sending you a long email tonight)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your loss. Do you have a website where you sell your art? I've already mailed my Christmas cards but would love to buy these to send next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Diana, but noI don't have a website where I sell anything online.

      Delete
  5. ROH, I worship the quicksand you walk on woman! I am mind jetting you a big fat hug and a cup of hot tea.. Tea always works for me. <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobbi, Sparkle, Diana, Sue and Ima- you're the bestest friends! Thank you for caring.

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!