In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The Ugly Underbelly of America Has Risen...

Usually when I begin to write a blog post I already know what I'm going to write about and have come up with a title. But not today. I'm still reeling from the election results and my thoughts are jumbled.  My rational mind knew that the Bloated Orange One could win, but my heart rejected such a reality. Surely America would never elect such a hateful entitled buffoon? What I didn't realize is how little some   Americans care about women and minorities, the poor, LBGTQ, disabled, immigrants and non-Christians. 


For years we've been warned about the dumbing down of America and now we see how prophetic those warnings were. Years of watching Bravo Real Housewives, FOX News, Breitbart and cable networks pretending to be news groomed us for this debacle. 

America elected a rich privileged elderly orange man- a pussy grabbing, climate change denying, immigrant hating, KKK endorsed, narcissistic sociopath to lead our country. And gave him control of Congress and Senate just to sweeten the pot. 


David Duke is just giddy with the election results:




And it isn't just the KKK we have to thank for the Bloated Orange One. Bible thumping evangelicals did their part. Evidently they're okay with rich powerful men grabbing women by the pussy, as long as women aren't given the right to make decisions regarding birth control/abortion and 
LBGTQ are denied the same rights as heterosexual god fearing people.



As for the white women voters, I can't come up with any reasonable explanation.  



My heart broke when I listened to Van Jones. His words were the last ones I heard before I turned the TV off. 

I'm white, a natural born citizen, heterosexual and in the last chapter of my life so I don't have that much to fear. I'll be dead before the long term repercussions of this election are felt. When I cast my vote it wasn't so much for me, but for the younger generations and the Colombian couple down the street who are struggling to learn English and share cheerful smiles and their delicious sweet desserts with us, the lesbian Latino friends we play Spades with on the weekends, my widowed neighbors who rely on SS and Medicare just to exist, my gay neighbor who shared his red pineapple plant with me and campaigned tirelessly for Hillary and equality, the spirited Black women I've had the privilege of knowing over the years and all the people who are different from me but have greatly enriched my life by knowing them. 

All my life I've often felt out of step with the majority, but never as much as I did last night. The ugly underbelly of America has risen up and cast a shadow over us all. 


2 comments:

  1. I cut my hair today, very short again. I bought some black grease to put under my eyes like football players and some white makeup: I'm going warrior. Black for WAR; white for MOURNING. I'm only wearing black clothes now, because my country is dead.

    I may only be one person, but goddamn it, I'm not pretending this is all going to be fine. I will never call that great black hole of human excrement my president. As far as I'm concerned, I have no country now. They can lock me up, torture me, kill me, and eat me, BUT I WILL NEVER ACCEPT THE EVIL THAT NOW LOOMS OVER THE FORMER U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Dottie! If only we could deport the King of Deplorables and his minions

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!