In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Friday, December 2, 2016

Getting My Ho Ho Ho On... A Christmas Tradition

Christmas sweets have been a part of our holiday tradition for as long as I can remember. Some of my best childhood memories are of my mom and grandma spending weeks baking cookies and holiday breads and making an assortment of fudges and candies. We were forbidden to touch any of it until Christmas Eve after all the platters of goodies were delivered to the neighbors and friends. By my early teens my mom had stopped exchanging holiday treats with our neighbors and the tradition seemed to die. 

One Christmas after I became an adult with my own home I got nostalgic and decided to revive the holiday tradition I had enjoyed so much as a child.  That Christmas Eve I had platters filled with cookies, fudge and candies for each of our neighbors... and they were delighted! Especially two older ladies who each lived alone. They said they no longer baked for the holidays since it was just them. I enjoyed it so much it became one of my Christmas traditions. Over the years I lived in different towns and neighborhoods, but I continued my new/old tradition and whoever happened to be my neighbor when the holidays rolled around got a platter of goodies on Christmas Eve. 

When we moved into this senior community I was surprised that none of my neighbors had continued this old tradition. The first year we were here my neighbors were surprised when we delivered our holiday goodies. I kept hearing "oh, you shouldn't have!" or "I feel terrible that I have nothing for you." And I assured each of them that I did this for me as a way to relive those long ago and much loved times with my mom and grandma. Some years I added handmade items like the cute little angels I sculpted and finished off with cloth skirts filled with Hershey kisses or fabric Christmas cards decorated with free stitched embroidery. But three years ago I stopped with the tradition of Christmas platters. And it's now time to revive it once again. 

Just the thought of baking dozens and dozens of cookies and stirring batch after batch of fudge and candies exhausts me. So I've decided to scale way back and will be only baking holiday applesauce walnut bread and whipping up spiced honey butter with the recipes printed on a card. 

As I'm writing this post I'm wondering how many of you have traditions from your childhood that you've continued in your adult life? If not, maybe this post will remind you of a long forgotten family tradition that you could bring back and make your own. 

Here is the front of the recipe card and the recipe printed on the inside. Feel free to take it and make it your own. It is set up to print on a 7" by 5" folded card. 





2 comments:

  1. Novenas with family and friends will always be part of the holiday traditions for me. Plus Natilla, Bunelos and empanadas... yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something very comforting about traditions. Our Colombian neighbors brought us Natilla a couple of Christmases ago. It was delicious!

      Delete

Talk To Me!