In 2002 we ran away from Illinois where we were born and raised, and started a new life in SW Florida. This blog is about me (an eccentric old artist), ROM (my Real Old Man), Isabella (our neurotic Standard Poodle) and Emmy (our crazy snake killing Jack Russell Terrier). Oh- and the neighborhood old people. Life is good in Florida!

_________________________________


Thursday, December 1, 2016

I Shall Grab December By The Pussy...

... and make her my bitch!

Those of you who have read my blog the past few years know that December has been a struggle for me since my son's death. Last year I completely surrendered to it, like it was a penitence I was obligated to pay. But sadly I ruined the holidays for my Real Old Man. Y'all know how much my man loves the holidays... with his legendary outdoor light displays and festive underwear. Last year the lights were unstrung and the house remained dark. And there was no donning of his Christmas undies. 

Last month I began to feel the start of that now familiar downward spiral. I'm reminded that it's the appointed time for my misery to begin when we switch to standard time and the nights become long. The dreaded month of December is quickly approaching. But what if...

... I refused to indulge in wallowing in past memories and if onlys. Instead I could choose to put all my energy into creating new memories and cherishing what is. I could try my damnedest to make it a great Christmas for my Real Old Man. If not now, then when? Who knows how many more Christmases we will share together? 

I was reminded of that yesterday morning. A new couple had recently moved in a few houses down from us. They're only in their mid sixties, have a couple little dogs and seem happy. Tuesday night an ambulance was called and he was transported to the hospital. By Wednesday morning he was dead. They won't get another Christmas together.  So...

The decorating has started, the yearly original holiday card is being sketched and painted, recipes for yummy holiday treats have been pulled out and we watched our first Christmas show of the season together last night. I'm even digging the sappy holiday commercials. And I'm sure with enough cups of Bailey's coffee my ROM will model his festive underwear on Christmas Eve.

Here's a photo of the start of the decorating. Still a long way to go...



 

Yes, this December will be my bitch!

2 comments:

  1. So happy to read This, ROH!! Hugs to you and ROM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bea! We're getting our Christmas on!

    ReplyDelete

Talk To Me!